Fallout 2 help

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    admin
    Keymaster

I added 256MB ram cap to special free version, I can post it here in next days. Dos command mem shows it correctly, hope it will work.

Yes Man
    Participant

Wow, considering this situation is very likely due to my own ignorance it means a lot that you’d do that. Hopefully it serves others well also – it seems in demand having brought it up. I honestly shouldn’t require that much ram and the real solution should be figuring out why I do but that’s the most obvious thing I need to eliminate at the moment, I can’t wait to try.

People have had success where I haven’t with RP though and that’s with the memory limit, so I suspect even if the ram bump does work that the cause is something on my end. The guide I referred to originally for DBT did mention a 256mb min but the exact reasons were unclear. I can’t think of many, if any files (from the manual RP files) I may have dropped in that would alter the game & patch installation in terms of memory req drasticaly.

Yes Man
    Participant

Larrynho did you happen to get the appearance mod working for Fo2? The old sfall I’m using for win98 lacks a command in ddraw.ini for enabling it but the Appearance folder is in my directory anyways.

This post seems to indicate it might be possible manually but I’ve tried moving files from Appearance to other folders with no results.

Larrynho
    Participant

I dont think im using the appearance mod actually (unless It comes with Rp and get auto installed) so… cant really tell, sorry.

Yes Man
    Participant

Thanks I was just curious. It comes with RP. Your character would be visible on the character screen and there are 3 hair styles to choose from. It’s not important though.

admin
    Keymaster

Hi, here is free version updated with patch to 386MB RAM cap. Hope it will work without issues. Patch was applied to both cores

*In this version I changed routine for physical mouse (and spen, touchscreen, …) detection. I will be happy if you can confirm that physical mouse still works.

Yes Man
    Participant

You’re the best! I’ll check this out as soon as possible.

Larrynho
    Participant

When/If I have time, Ill try Dwarf Fortress in this versión… afaik the only limitation was the amount of ram :p

Yes Man
    Participant

It’s up and running. Thanks a lot. Now all that’s left is getting the rest of the RP running i.e appearance mod, a problem due likely to the dated sfall necessary for windows 98… though that’s pretty off topic.

Also fine tuning performance now, it seems to be shaping up markedly better than Dosbox Turbo; atm balancing audio prebuffer with cycles – which is a little tricky given that the better performance seems to come at the cost of sound quality. Trying to keep prebuffer at 0 but I’ve got crackling with 2 or 3 sound effects as well movie audio, most of it though is pretty clean, like music, ambient sound etc….
    Only very specific areas are exhibiting noticeable slowdown now, which is nice. Some load screens are a bit long, might try dabbling with higher cycles for the few that drag.

Safe to assume that 3dfx voodoo/glide is not supported here? I’ll make sure it’s disabled in my DM if that’s the case.

———-

When I go to mouse under general settings the app crashes, but the mouse is working. Is physical mouse the default setting for type?

Al ex
    Keymaster

Glad it’s working now! ?

3dfx/Voodoo is not suported, because it makes no sense on Android atm. As long as there’s no Glide wrapper available for Android, all Voodoo functions have to be emulated on the cpu, which causes insane slowdowns. Quite the opposite of what 3dfx is supposed to do. ?

Al ex
    Keymaster

Performance-wise, I’d suggest you simply set cycles=105%, or maybe 110%. And you can set vmemsize=4 in the [dosbox] section. Might help a bit. What phone model/chipset are you using?

admin
    Keymaster

Vmemsize is only in normal core. And cap for cycles max is 120%

more
    Participant

Hello Yes Man and everyone,
    can you please help me a little ? I was struggling with this same thing for the past week. I succesfully installed Fallout 2 to my android with Magic Dosbox under windows 95 (according to the Magis Dosbox’s video tutorial on Youtube). Everything works fine, but I only managed to update it to 1.02 with official 1.02d patch, which still leaves a lot of bugs. Since then I tried to figure out how to make it work with Restoration project, but no success for me. After long research I think the problem is Windows 95 that simply doesn’t support Sfall and Directx 9.0c, which are necesssary for the Restoration project. Just to make sure I tried it myself several times, but the Windows 95 simply won’t let me do it – still the same error “program requires win 95 with directx 3.0a or later or win NT version 4.0 with SP 3 or greater.” I believe the problem could be solved if the Fallout 2 could be installed through Magic Dosbox on Windows 98, which supports both Sfall and Directx 9.0c. However I have no idea how to do that – I am noob who only follows tutorials :).
    So Yes Man, please, can you write here for me some simple guidance how you made it work ? Thank you million times.

admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

Seems restoration project needs 256MB RAM. mDosbox officially sets cap to 64, so it can’t work. You can try the experimental free version. I posted apk few posts above. Seems it works, but I did not try it by myself. Probably it will run slower, because restoration project uses higher resolution.

more
    Participant

Hey Admin, thank you for the experimental free version. I installed it and now I have both the full paid Magic Dosbox version and this experimental.
    Now I have only one question I would love to have answered. I managed to run the Fallout2 with Restoration project on Dosbox Turbo according to the tutorial Yes Man posted here. It works, but its true its very slow and laggy. So I want to try it on Magic Dosbox.
    The question is: what does it mean when Yes Man says: :”For Magic all I did was add file paths at the bottom of the ‘expert commands’ config for the images I was using in DBT and it started up right away” ?.
    I know where the bottom of ‘expert commands’ config is, I think I should write some paths in the lines below “[autoexec]” and “@Echo Off”, but I dont know what should I write there. The paths should probably lead to the c.img (probably the win98 data) and hdd-2gb.img (fallout2 data installed on computer) from the DBT tutorials now stored on my internal storage, there is also small “dosbox.conf” file. Since Magic Dosbox (full version nor that experimental) does not see the images I used in the DBT automatically, I think I have to set the paths manually.
    So please someone tell me how to add the paths at the bottom of the ‘expert commands’ config, which Yes Man was talking about. It would be much appreciated.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.