Fallout 2 help

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Larrynho
    Participant

Might be a stupid question but have u installed directx? I think that the las version w98 supports is dx8.0… or at least I think I have it installed.

Yes Man
    Participant

One image with DirectX9.0C, 3dfx, SB16 apparently, another with DX8.0, 3dfx & SB16 and a third (with Dx9.0c,3dfx, Sb16) with CD/ISO support via Daemon Tools that’s supposed to be less stable at least in the context of Dosbox Turbo, that’s what I used when I tried a native install in Magic. It’s worth noting Fo2 still runs in Dosbox Turbo (granted I’ve never seen the appearance mod or extra menu options working) with Restoration and the native install ran in Magic before Restoration.

Yes Man
    Participant

I got it to launch via SVN core with no error, however it’s only making it to the first loading screen before closing like it did without. I just kept trying to match variables in the expert commands config with the dosbox config I had for Dosbox Turbo and something took, not sure what though yet.

Al ex
    Keymaster

I can’t test anything, because I don’t own the game. But can you try to install the game without the restoration project? Also, Mobygames says it only needs 16 MB RAM, and Windows 95, so maybe it’s already enough to reduce memesize to 16 or 32…?

Yes Man
    Participant

I’ve gotten it running on Magic Dosbox pre patches (including restoration patch) but I’m not interested in that version, not that there’s anything wrong with it.

I’ve been knocking down sound quality and I even disabled 3dfx glide support – which I’m not convinced had any positive effect in the first place – over on Dosbox Turbo (on win98) to get it more “playable” with the restoration project while I continue to trial and error Magic Dosbox so that it might also work some day -as again it’s markedly smoother. I can’t tell if it’s an issue with the restoration installation or the windows img or something else; this is why I hesitate to build a win98 img myself because the issue might lie elsewhere. It stops just short of playing the first intro video each time.

It’s weird also that the appearance mod for example in DBT doesn’t show up but that’s not really directly relevant I don’t think.

I’ll try reducing memsize at least and see what happens though. I’m just about out of ideas myself, I’ve got alternate installs coming out of my ears on my PC.

Thanks for the suggestions though everybody. Hopefully this thread hasn’t been a nuisance on the forum.

Al ex
    Keymaster

A nuisance? Not at all. ?
    On the contrary, thanks for trying so patiently.

Yes Man
    Participant

I’ve determined that changing the cputype to pentium_slow (pentium/auto wouldn’t work) is what got it to start with svn core – though I haven’t gotten it past the loading screen as of yet. Memsize doesn’t seem to do much. I also tried erasing any trace of 3dfx but there was still no dice – though, a couple launches did incur a brief white screen just before closing, it’s not consistent and I don’t think it was related to attempts to remove 3dfx.

Yes Man
    Participant

I just realised that Magic Dosbox was limiting ram to 64mb even when I put higher in the config, I noticed this in my computer properties, so I went over to Dosbox Turbo and saw it was matching it’s relative config (256mb). I then dialled down memsize to 63 there and voila – it closed after the initial load just like in Magic.

Is it possible for me to increase the memory beyond 64mb? Preferably to 256:)

Larrynho
    Participant

Nope, asked the same thing a few weeks ago .. I was trying to run Dwarf Fortress ( requires 150 mb at least ). For f2 and for afaik everything on win 98, 64 is more than enough… F2 , D2, Starcraft, etc ran ok for me.

Al ex
    Keymaster

I dimly remember the 256 MB discussion. Let’s wait for something official on this.

Yes Man
    Participant

Interesting. With the Restoration Project it doesn’t want to run with 64mb anywhere for me, shame. Dosbox Turbo has become a little unsightly.

Al ex
    Keymaster

I think the reason why there’s the 63 MB limit in Magic Dsbox is the same as in the official Windows Dosbox: himem.sys only supports up to 64 MB, so anything above that is really experimental, and likely to cause instability. Looking at Dosbox Turbo, and how crash prone it is, that might be one of the reasons.

Is there any way to reduce the RP install size? Like e.g. chose lower texture resolution or something like that? Or maybe you can use an older version, like 1.2, or 2.2?

It’s pretty weird RP needs so much RAM, when Half-Life only needs 24 MB, and Thief and Diablo 2 run fine with 32 MB. ?

Larrynho
    Participant

I got f2 AND restoration, working on win98 with 64 mb of ram… I dont know what the problema might be. RP uses and requires a f2 hd texture patch (included) so thats not the issue.

Try this (from the wiki… long shot but…):
    if you’re using a 64-bit version of Windows (Vista or 7), you may find that the default configuration crashes upon load. You must run the game in DirectX Mode 4. In ddraw.ini in the Fallout 2 directory, find the [Graphics] section and use this setting:
    Mode=4
    Do not disable DirectX mode in the Sfall settings of the “scrn” preferences in-game, or it will crash again upon startup

http://falloutmods.wikia.com/wiki/F2RP_Technical_Info

admin
    Keymaster

As far as I know dosbox uses XMS 2.0 which is limited to 64MB

see :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_memory#eXtended_Memory_Specification_.28XMS.29

To get up, we need probably update sources to 3.0, but there is no official patch 🙁 For a interest I tried expand ram support to 256MB, however while expanded memory was raised correctly, extended still fails. I can look at this yet, I must find free time, but this feature will not be included to official svn or normal core.

Yes Man
    Participant

DDraw tweak didn’t work, I’ve tried that and the f2_res_config a number of times each (directdraw 7, basic, dx9 etc)

I am curious as to why this setup is asking for 256mb ram and if there’s some way of getting past that. I’ll poke around.

The Fo2 I have in storage at the moment is a manual installation – it pretty much behaves the same regardless of whether it’s a native installation, automatic or manual off drive so long as I take the necessary steps after (windows 98 compat manual RP files etc). There are probably some relevant options during the automatic installation , I don’t think they should be causing any issues, especially if others haven’t paid any mind to them, but I’ll make sure to check them out if I go through it again.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.