Fallout 2 help

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Yes Man
    Participant

Hi, not overly familiar with windows/dos on android but I managed to follow a pretty basic tutorial for Dosbox Turbo and ended up with win9x img and a 2gb HDD img that has Fallout 2 (and the restoration project) on it – it booted fine but Dosbox Turbo was really very choppy at every point from launching to playing.

I brought the image over to Magic Dosbox Free, corrected file paths and booted it much the same ..except it’s amazingly fast and smooth. It all seems great but when I actually launch Fallout 2 it makes it to the first loading screen and when it would transition to the first cutscene the game just closes and sends me back to the windows desktop with no error.

I’m not really sure what to do. I’d love to get this image to work, since it actually launches. I’ve tried increasing memsize to 256 to match the dosbox config file I had previously for DBT – through means of RolandDeschain79’s guide but it’s of no avail. I know others have gotten it to work with the restoration patch on Magic so I’m not sure that’s the issue. Maybe there is a setting I’m missing or something.

Any tips would be great. If I ever get this working I’ll likely buy the full app.

Thanks.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Hi and welcome!
    Not quite sure what’s wrong in particular, and I don’t have Fallout 2 to test. But you might want to toggle the SVN core option in the profile settings. This can fix some crashing issues.
    Please report back if it doesn’t work, I’m sure we’ll figure out what’s wrong.

Larrynho
    Participant

Heya! I directed you to the forum from reddit 😀 I might try reinstalling win98 vesa driver, or reinstalling fallout 2. Hope anyone else can give some more advice. Also try ticking SVN Core in options.

Yes Man
    Participant

Hello fellow chosen ones, thanks for the replies (and the information Larrynho).

I tried SVN core but instead of launching into the initial loading screen for the game I just get an error “program requires win 95 with directx 3.0a or later or win NT version 4.0 with SP 3 or greater..”
    The win9x img apparently is win98 and features/or supports dx9.0c,3dfx & SB16 and it still boots all the way into the game on Dosbox Turbo. Without SVN core in Magic it seems to manage the initial loading screen and then closes silently where the intro would start.

I haven’t really touched layouts or profiles, as I’m not certain how they work yet. I’ve also done my Fallout 2 installs on my PC and then injected them via winimage into an HDD image – then brought them over to Magic Dosbox, as I did for Dosbox Turbo. I’ve tried a few different reinstalls also.

I thought I saw a post on the xda-dev forum in a Dosbox Turbo thread that said you could just bring images over from one to the other and change file paths, so that’s what prompted me. I’ve browsed over the MDB tutorial a few times (in modest confusion) and am willing to follow through with that as well, I just haven’t, I’m not sure it includes how to install the restoration project either for example.

Is the vesa driver for the display adapter?

admin
    Keymaster

Hi, depends on emulated system. Mdosbox supports win95, this was tested. Svn core less supports windows emulation – dosbox team is not very focused on windows support. If your image is win98 then there might be various issues. Dosbox turbo was focused on win98 games and is more compatible with this system. However to run Fallout 2 you dont need win98. Win95 is enough.

Yes Man
    Participant

I was under the impression that others had gotten Fallout 2 with the Restoration Project running under Magic Dosbox via windows 98. It’s interesting that the game launches, going so far as the first loading screen and then closes without error back to desktop. It’s very smooth running in the interim as well, much more than DBT. I thought maybe I crucially misunderstood some element of the interface or config and inadvertently created an issue. I haven’t touched the mgc files yet either as I thought they might be unnecessary.

If it’s not possible then I’m not sure what I’ll do. I’ve been chipping away at this for a very long time and produced a mess of files so I think I’ll take a break and reevaluate my options, perhaps take a closer look at that 3 part tutorial. Provided win95 plays well with the restoration project, then it’ll be worth trying.

admin
    Keymaster

Is restoration project free or under license, if is free then maybe you can place here links, I like to try it

Yes Man
    Participant

Free

Killap.net

This is the guide I used for installing Fallout 2 with the restoration project for Dosbox Turbo. It involves some light modding of the files for compatibility.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2410203

Yes Man
    Participant

For Magic all I did was add file paths at the bottom of the ‘expert commands’ config for the images I was using in DBT and it started up right away. At that point I thought it might function the same way and it would be unnecessary for me to create a new win9x image like the 3 part tutorial for MDB outlines (the one I obtained through RolanDeschain79’s guide essentially came preloaded/preinstalled); and I already had the hdd image with Fallout 2 on it.

I’ve dabbled with these apps before over the last year and some for the sake of Fallout 2, as well as Exagear with little to show for it. Only recently when I decided I really wanted to play Fo2 on the go did I commit to making it work. Exagear is both super pricey and wouldn’t launch the few dozen times I tried it. DBT is sort of clunky and I’m not convinced it works correctly but it’s…”playable”.

Magic blew me away when it started up windows, it’s very nice and very fast. However the game just closes after the same loading screen each time. Pardon my ignorance, I’m new to this specifically. I just didn’t want to follow the tutorial if it didn’t end up working with Restoration and on that note I wasn’t sure what drivers and the like I would need to install on the windows image for it to work.

I think Larrynho has gotten it working on win98 but then again, he/she probably knows what he/she is doing.

Larrynho
    Participant

F1 was a dos native game with a Windows 95 executable. F2 is a win xp native game; Restoration Project adds win98 compatibility, hence that’s why its mandatory. It’s a big mod/patch made by the community that issues lots of things and bugs.

Ive just read that you installed the game on your pc and transferred the files… I think that should NOT work. You should get your fallout 2 installation files into a .img, mount int in win98 and install the humongous installation from inside the dosbox/win98. In the same image add the restoration Project and install it too ( Its a dos executable if I remember well ).

That’s what I did and it worked fine for me.

pd: he* :p Im not that keen on dosbox but Ive been using computers since the win 3.11 era so I battled my way through most games in that era :p

Yes Man
    Participant

Alright I’ll give that a try Larrynho when I get a chance, thanks for the tip. Did you do the automatic installation? Guess I’ll need the manual files regardless. I’m still worried I’m missing some setting somewhere, I’ve really only played around with the main config/expert commands.

I was probably in a crib during that era.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Dude, you know how to make people feel old… ?

Yes Man
    Participant

I used a win98 image with daemon tools on it and mounted an actual Fallout 2 iso in Magic – as the GOG installer doesn’t work in win98. Opted for humongous installation and did automatic install of Restoration with the exe after.

Didn’t use mgc file at any point. Took a few hours to get through all the installations.

I went into program files after and found Fallout 2, launched it, it made it to the first loading screen (which looked different this time) and then it closed without any error back to desktop. SVN core gives me the same error as before : “ COULD NOT LOAD DIRECTX.. program requires win 95 with directx 3.0a or later or win NT version 4.0 with SP 3 or greater..”

Interesting because for dosbox turbo I used a GOG installation, manually installed Restoration on top of that, then after that replaced and/or added a number of files (like exe with 95-98 compatible exe, sfall.dll, elevators config&ddraw config), ran a batch file iirc, deleted patch000.dat, dropped in a fallout2.cfg file with ‘video and ambient sounds’ – not to mention also moved the denbus1 files out of /data/maps into /data/ to prevent The Den from being a black screen. Then after all that injected the installation into the 2gb hdd.

^I’m wondering if I should still do all of that inside windows 98 with the manual RP files. I’ll probably back up this hdd image and try.^

Edit: It did run before installing the restoration project but otherwise no luck yet.

infernoxzx
    Participant

This is just an assumption, but it’s possible to install “directx 9” on “Win 98”, and in your “cputype = 486” settings, the fact is that the “486” processor does not support “directx 9” because of this there can be an error . It is necessary in the settings to set “cputype = pentium”, which has the support of “directx 9”.

Yes Man
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try switching cputype=auto to cputype=pentium in the dosbox config via expert commands but the results were the same.
    SVN core: No launch and Directx error
    No SVN core: Launch but closure after first load screen and no error.

My config otherwise mostly matches what’s in the above video tutorial, though I have increased memsize to 256 on occasion.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.