Windows 95

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    admin
    Keymaster

I copied them to desktop from somewhere, its some time, try check video again. Maybe i took them from system directory or from mounted 32mb hdd.

Facko
    Participant

Try copying the “win95” folder from the windows 95 cd to your image and install the s3 trio 32/64 video drivers. Should be included. The resolution should go to 1280×1024.

Ficmon
    Participant

Ok got it working, but when i mount the fo2 image I start it and its booting forever, left it to boot for 6 hours and it still didn’t start, should I just use an iso or something instead of the bigass hdd you made.

Al ex
    Keymaster

If it’s stuck on boot, you might have to adjust the hdd drive mount settings.
    You can get Working (empty) hdd image files and their appropriate settings here: https://magicbox.imejl.sk/forums/topic/windows-95/page/2/#post-7967

Just check the mount commands you’re using against the settings stored in the zip. Only if they’re right, and it’s still not working, you should try another image.

Mounting an iso file in Dosbox will not work at all. The way Win95 runs in Dosbox is rather a low-level approach, direct boot of the OS, so any other mount commands are ignored/have no effect.

A good workaround is to copy the iso to a big secondary hdd image, then mount that image as drive D, install Virtual CloneDrive in Win95, and mount the iso as virtual CD-ROM in you Win95 installation.

Ficmon
    Participant

Tried booting win95 with the 1gb and then with the 2gb image (with the right parameters for the file size), but Im still stuck on “Booting frm drive C…” how long is this even supossed to take?

Al ex
    Keymaster

Only a couple of seconds.?
    What are your exact mounting commands?

Al ex
    Keymaster

Check out this recording I just made on my phone (Galaxy S9+ Exynos): http://www.mediafire.com/file/6lw06s4suermxn6/Screen_Recording_20201125-200431_Magic+DosBox.mp4/file

LappyGB
    Participant

Hi there,

I’ve had a working Win95 image for some time now. Previously installed Rainbow 6 from ISO with no issues however game performance was terrible so that was a no go.

I’ve been trying to install Commandos Behind Enemy Lines but Win95 is crashing every time I load the ISO and it tries to auto play. I’ve tried moving it to internal storage and disabling SVN with no luck, any thoughts? I have the ISO saved on a 512MB image.

Also, whenever Win95 crashes it won’t boot after (splash screen shows for a couple seconds then goes back to the DosBox boot text), only way to get it back to normal is to use a fresh win95 image, is that normal?

Thanks

Al ex
    Keymaster

If only I could remember how I did that… ?

Alright, my standard approach is this: use a 512 GB image for your Windows installation (Drive C:). Use a 2 GB image to install the game to (Drive D:) and store the iso files (mount as Drive E: in Win95). This way, you can mount different 2 GB images in different profiles, allowing you to install dozens of games. The Win95 image always stays the same, so while you have all games installed there, you can obviously only lauch the game that has its corresponding 2 GB image mounted in the current session.

Anyway, that should give you plenty of headroom to install almost any Win95 game. Hopefully, this will also prevent your Win95 installation of getting corrupted with every crash. Unfortunately, Windows 95 was a buggy mess even on a real PC, and I can’t even tell how many countless times I had to completely reinstall this piece of garbage back then. I did a reinstall almost every month.

To prevent any major data loss, I’m doing the same thing as you: always keep a working backup of your C: drive stored away, just in case. I did not have any data loss though for a very long time (>year). I think that by separating Win95 and games installation image, you get a much more robust setup.

One thing to make sure whenever possible is to shut down Win95 via Start -> Shut Down Computer, then wait for a couple of seconds even after the “it’s now safe to power off your computer” message has appeared (because sometimes it’s actually not safe yet). But even if you fail to do that, you should usually just get the chkdsk bootup check on your next launch, but without any actual data loss.

LappyGB
    Participant

Yeah when I was playing around with Win95 a few months back I never encountered any boot errors and didn’t always close it down properly, just for some reason if it crashes now the image seems to become corrupted.

I’ll try it out again with a bigger image file for the game.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Maybe something inherently wrong with your backup image already. ?

Oh, and while Win95 does work fine with SVN core, I’d recommend turning it off. Its experimental features might cause issues you won’t recognize right away, but could still cause harm later on.

LappyGB
    Participant

Is it important to use VirtualBox 5.0.10 as shown in the Youtube video for creating the Win95 image? My current image was created on a much newer version.

Al ex
    Keymaster

That shouldn’t really make a difference. I doubt they made any changes to such an ancient file format.

LappyGB
    Participant

Hmmm, I am trying to make a fresh Win95 image but not having much luck. I’m on a different PC this time though (a lot more modern/high spec).

I get it all installed but when Win95 tries to boot for the first time in VirtualBox the Win95 splash screen shows momentarily and then reverts to a black screen with a flashing underscore (similar to what was happening with my old image in DosBox after a crash). I can get into the OS with safe mode but that doesn’t help much.

Followed the youtube video to the letter about 10 times now, not sure what’s messing it up, any thoughts? 😀

admin
    Keymaster

hm can you make screenshot of “device manager” from safe mode?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.