Windows 95

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    QuillsPen
    Participant

Three extra questions for win95 install.

1. Do we need to keep the win95 folder or can we delete that to free up space on the hdd? I tried to make the primary install on a 2gb img, but it wouldn’t launch. Only the 512mb img would. Not a big deal as I can add a 2gb img later.

2. How to remove the left click mouse widget permanently?

3. Can we have more than two 2gb img, so ie, it would be c: d: e: f: and so on other than the assigned drive for virtual clone.

Thanks in advance.

Al ex
    Keymaster

1. You need the Win95 folder. Do this:

install Win95 to a 512 MB. Also make sure you have a CD-ROM emulator installed in Win95, such as Virtual Clone Drive
      copy iso file(s) to a 2 GB image
      mount the 512 MB image as drive C, boot Win95 from this image
      mount 2 GB image as drive D.
      when Win95 has booted, mount the iso file as drive E with Virtul Clone Drive in Win95. Install the game to drive D

Major advantage of separating Win95 boot image and game installation image: you can install as many games as you like, by using different 2 GB images. In your game profile, simply mount the 2 GB image that contains the correct game data.

For example: I’ve installed C&C Red Alert to one image file, and Diablo to another. I’m keeping both files on my sd card. Now, my C&C profile will boot from an image called Win95.img, and mount a 2 GB image called “RedAlert.img” as drive D.
    My Diablo profile will also boot from the same Win95.img file, but mount another 2 GB image called “Diablo.img” instead.

2. not sure what you mean. Widgets can be removed in edit mode by tapping & holding them, then delete them from the popup menu.

3. You can’t have more than 2 GB img size and two hard drives. That’s simply a restriction of Windows 95. You can easily circumvent this limitation by using the method I’ve described above though.

QuillsPen
    Participant

Solved

Lagos
    Participant

Hi, I installed Windows 95 like described in the YT-Channel. A few things where different during the installation, but in the end Windows 95 is running well in Magic Dosbox on my phone.
    Now I’am at the point where I want to install Directx 8. I always get the error message that the processor is not supported by DirectX 8 and that DirectX 8 only support pentium compatible or K6 processors.
    My cputype is set to pentium in the expert settings, so I thing it should work. Any ideas what I’am doing wrong here?

Al ex
    Keymaster

Maybe try cputype=pentium_slow?

Lagos
    Participant

With cputype=pentium_slow it was possible to install directX 8, but after restarting win 95 I was getting a lot of Rundll32 errors.
    In the end win 95 was starting and running. During a second restart no errors occurs and it seems that everthing is working at a first sight.
    Thanks for the hint.

Al ex
    Keymaster

You’re welcome, hope it’ll work fine from now on. Win9x in Dosbox is a buggy mess, it’s still highly experimental, even after all these years of unofficial support.
    Come to think of it though, it was also highly experimental on real PCs back then. ?

goosetapo
    Participant

How can i select multiple units in red alert? Best would be a double click to hold mouse button.

Al ex
    Keymaster

It works just fine with absolute mouse. If you’re using relative mouse, set gestures = long press, and map it to left button.

goosetapo
    Participant

Thanks that worked! Do you also have a idea how to program win95 to skip the checkdisk procedure?

Al ex
    Keymaster

You can do that with the Dradly Strike widget. Configure it to launch at start, then enter the required key press sequence, and add some delay between each key press (the “Rest” function in the Dwadly Srrike actions).

goosetapo
    Participant

I got tiberium sun including the firestorm expansion to work as well now! It kept crashing, but then i turned off the SVN core and that made it work.

I did try to use absolute mouse in red alert and tiberium sun, but works bad for me. Is it supposed to click where your finger is placed? Because its always at a slight different position then where my finger is… Maybe its the galaxy fold 2’s aspect ratio that’s messing with the emulator.

Unfortunately i also tried to run total commander and the settlers 4, without success, they both expect a newer version of windows 95, even though i have windows 95c installed and the games should be compatible with that.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Glad you got it working. ?
    Absolute mouse emulation is a bit of a pain in the ass. Obviously, there were no touch screens back in the early days, so there are lots of compatibility issues. Programmers did a lot of weird stuff to mouse implementation in particular (just try to make absolute mouse work in Lemmings…), and it’s impossible to have a perfect solution for this.
    You can adjust mouse settings in advanced settings, there are lots of tweaking options. In some cases though, you’ll want to stick with relative mouse. This is a 1:1 mouse emulation and will always work.

goosetapo
    Participant

Is there a way to speed win95 up? Noticed tiberium sun can get quite slow. I see max cycle speeds etc in advanced settings.
    Svn core makes tiberium sun crash so dont think thats a option…?

Al ex
    Keymaster

Win95 emulation is extremely cpu heavy. So unless your phone is powerful enough, you’ll have to deal with slowdowns. Dosbox wasn’t even developed to emulate Win95, that’s why it’s not officially supported even on the Dosbox website. SVN core is primarily intended for experimental features (like save states), and is too unstable for Win95. It doesn’t offer any speedup though, so that’s not a big deal anyway.

Still, you can always try to get better performance by applying some of the advanced settings. Frame skip can have an impact, especially on older phones. Frameskip=2 is a reasonable value. Most importantly though, you’ll need more raw power, so the cycles settings is the most important one.
    Try cycles=105%. This setting is usually still pretty stable, i.e. has no sound issues. You can go up as high as cycles=125% (hardcoded limit), though at this point, you’ll most likely encounter nasty sound crackkling and skipping.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.