Windows 95

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Zeljko
    Participant

Hello. Is there any way to speed up Windows 95 emulation? I installed Win95 like in the video from youtube. Anything to edit in expert commands?
    Cause, Age of Empires 1 runs great, but whenever I select a unit, building, anything, it becomes a lil bit choppy, nothing serious, but it is anoying.
    I disabled Frame Limit, set it to 0, it runs the same, but now I can hear music ingame, so that is better now. Just want to get rid of that selecting issue.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Might have all kinds of reasons, your smartphone’s cpu being one of them of course. Win95 is terribly buggy, it’s a miracle it’s even working so well. Just some things off the top of my hat:

– The choppiness you’re describing, does it persist while the unit is selected? Or does it vanish after you have selected the unit?

– And the frame limit you’re describing, are you referring to frameskip? Higher values should increase performance, and smooth out sound playback at the cost of visual quality.

– Are you using fixed cycles? If so, the game will become choppy when the cycles setting overloads your cpu. In that case, set cycles=max in expert settings (cycles=max 105% for even higher performance).

Zeljko
    Participant

It persist while unit is selected, when its not, there is no choppiness, the gameplay feels smooth. And yes, the frame skip, thats the thing I meant.
    And I am using max cycles, 105%, I set cpu to auto.

Zeljko
    Participant

What happens if I switch to pentium_mmx with normal core? Does that changes anything?
    My cpu is Kirin 710@2.2ghz, octa core.

admin
    Keymaster

No, best is to use pentium. You can try cycles=max 120%

Al ex
    Keymaster

The Kirin 710 is on par with the Exynos 7885. At least when it comes to single core performance, and that’s what matters for Dosbox. It’s possible, though not necessarily the case, that your cpu is a bit too weak to provice constant speeds in Win95 emulation.
    On the other hand, your cpu is twice as fast as the Exynos 7880, which should be enough, unless the Exynos handles certain cpu operations more efficiently (like the infamous NEON performance hit on old Snapdragons).

Just to rule this out, could you run the benchmark please, and tell us the result?

Benchmark

Also, you can try fixed cycles. This can cause a lot of other issues, but Age of Empires isn’t very demanding for a Win95 game (a Pentium 60 was enough back then). So maybe you can find a setting that’s low enough to provide stable speed.

Zeljko
    Participant

Benchmark showed 1003 realtics.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Alright, that’s definitely fast enough. I made that layout on my old Note 4 (Snapdragon 805), and it only scored 1380 realtics (with root & tweaks, 2180 with stock settings).

So. Weird issue, I just launched the game on my phone, and experienced no slowdowns/hiccups whatsoever (Galaxy S9+). I’d suggest you try a fixed cycles setting next, not too high, like cycles=40000 or so. That should more or less equal a decent pentium’s speed, but leave a lot of free cpu resources.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Ah, I just remembered your other post (did you chance your profile pic?). I’ll add your phone to the benchmark list. 🙂

Zeljko
    Participant

Fixed cycles?
    These are the lines in Expert Commands:
    cycles=max 120%
    cycleup=500
    cycledown=500
    isapnpbios=true
    So how to add fixed cycles? This line: #cycles=fixed 80000 ?
    Should I put #before other lines like:
    #cycles=max 120%
    #cycleup=500
    #cycledown=500
    cycles=fixed 40000

Oh, and yeah, I changed profile pic, it felt weird to be blank lol

Al ex
    Keymaster

The “#” merely tells mDosbox (and pretty much every other backend tool) to ignore that particular command line.
    So all you need to do is just
    #cycles=max 120%
    cycles=40000 (or “fixed 40000”, it’s the same)

You can leave the cycle up/down lines in, or comment them out, it doesn’t matter. They only tell Dosbox (on PC) how many cycles to increase or decrease when you press the key combo (not sure, I think it’s Ctrl+F11/Ctrl+F12 or so). They don’t do anything in mDosbox, afaik.

ManfredVonRicthofen
    Participant

How did you guys managed to get win95 running without display drivers or virtual cd crashing?

Al ex
    Keymaster

Should work just fine as described in the YT channel. The trick IIRC is to have the right Win95 version (B, I think).

QuillsPen
    Participant

Hi, been following the tut on Youtube, on getting Win95 up and running on Magic Dosbox. I was stuck at the part when to convert the vhd to an img file.

Seems the process has changed some in the last 5 years.

1.If you use the latest version of Oracle VM, for some reason, you can not even install a virtual win95 vhd. You need to downgrade to at least version 5.2 and before June or July I believe, after that, they will drop support for it.
    2. C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage.exe “C:\Users\****\VirtualBox VMs\win95\win95.vhd” d:\test\win95img –format raw was the only way I could convert the vhd to an .img file. Maybe it has changed with Windows 10.

I managed to get it to work, but I have issues with the mouse not following ie in Dex Mode, the computer mouse trails far from the emulated mouse in win95, is there a way to fix this, or is this an artifact of using Dex Mode?

QuillsPen
    Participant

Figured out this part

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.