VERY slow startup – Might and Magic 3 – Isles of Terra

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Cori91
    Participant

Hello guys!

Sorry for the late reply.

So I tried it again, but now with the gog installs. I copied the files from a PC and it works

MM3 is fast as it can be, now low fps loading screens.
    Ultima 6 has sound and no stuttering. (I tested this one too from a random dos rom download and was bad, stuttering and without sound)

So I’m not sure what changed but from GOG everything seem to be working flawlessly.

Thanks for the help.

Cori91
    Participant

Okay new question, haha. It’s for Ultima 6 mgc control layout file.

Should I open a new topic for it? Or write in the specific mgc topic?

So I downloaded Alex’s and Chris’ Ultima 6 mgc control layout. Both if I import dosbox just doesn’t do anything, sometimes crashes the whole app too. What’s the deal with that?

For MM3 it works I mean MM4-5’s layout imports fine and starts up MM3 just fine, but Ultima somehow doesn’t. Any idea?

Al ex
    Keymaster

I think that in my profile, I’m using expert settings with an “exit” command at the end. So when the profile can’t find the game exe (which it most likely can’t, because my paths are different than yours), it will quit right out of the emulator again. Try unchecking expert settings, and pick your game.exe (or ultima6.exe, if you want to watch the into) from the UI. Hope this helps. 🙂

Cori91
    Participant

Sorry to be a nuisance lol.
    I’m very grateful for the constant answers and help!

But it just doesn’t want to work.

I import the mgc file to dosbox, I change the paths to my Ultima 6 directory, set every setting to be the same as the games setting in dosbox, I unchecked the expert settings too.
    I start the mgc file so it should integrate itself to the game but it just crashes the whole dosbox.
    The mgc file is of course in the same directory as the Ultima 6 game files.

Not sure what else can I do?

Al ex
    Keymaster

No problem, you certainly aren’t a nuisance. 😉
    You don’t have to put the mgc into the game directory. It’s basically just a renamed zip file containing all the necessary files. You simply tap the + icon in Magic Dosbox, navigate to the file, and import it.
    Try this profile, I re-exported it for testing without expert settings. It’s working fine on my device: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArpMRx04ZUDUmdRzXtpJ6Ct3_0rDYg

And if course, you should be using a legit version of the game, not an abandonware download, as these tend to be broken to some degree. 🙂

Cori91
    Participant

I tried using this one, changing the game path of course, but it’s the same thing. It crashes when I try to run the imported mgc file.

If I start the game up first then try to import widgetd that way in game, than the buttons show up but either gets stuck on the screen even all the time OR disappear if I exit out of the design mode. Either way I gues that’s why xou have to run the mgc file first to set up everything so later on you can use it with the game without problems. Am I right?

Either way it doesnt work for me for some reason 🙁

Al ex
    Keymaster

That’s pretty weird. Just to make sure, you have un-checked the “Expert commands” option at the bottom, right? Because otherwise, it will override any other settings you’ve made.

Cori91
    Participant

Yes. It is unchecked.

If I check it, the app doesn’t even find the folder the game is in. :/

For some reason the Widgetd for Might and Magic 4-5 (World of Xeen) is working for MM3… lol.

But I cant get it to work for Ultima6 or Wizardry 7 either…

Al ex
    Keymaster

Any widget should work for any game, only the control scheme won’t make any sense in most cases. 😉
    I’ve forwarded your issue, as this sounds like a bug to me. I just re-tested on my device, and the profile is working fine, which shoud rule out a version conflict (the profile is rather old by now).

Cori91
    Participant

Ah I understand then.

Thank you for the help! Pretty sad that we couldn’t figure this out 🙁 I was so looking forward to play some old stuff. I’ll try to look for some other games then, maybe.

By the way..
    Wizardry 7 mgc file is starting the game up but stays at black screen, does norhing, the controls pop up, then nothing, it won’t crash or quit from the game, just stays in black screen forever. (Although the gog version for this is pretty confusing, you had to download it from the extras, and it put the files in the DSavant folder inside the main Wizardry 7 gog folder. So I copied the files from there to the main Wizardry 7 folder, the game is playing nicely but I can’t get the imported widgets again to work.) Not sure if this helps but I guess I should mention it.

SongJiang
    Participant

I have issues with profiles too. Since I change my phone (Samsung S7 to Huawei p30 pro) my own profiles (the more complex ones, involving pixel traps) don’t work anymore and since recent version of magic dosbox, some texts are cut or misaligned. A change in how font are rendered I guess? I think some profiles needs to be redone.

admin
    Keymaster

Profiles are saved in % dimension. If you change devices with different resolution and dpi then text may not fit in boundaries. Just now you must increase text boundaries. I should implement +/- for text size across all widgets, this would be solution. Text has now fixed size recalculated with device dpi. This may lead to slightly bigger/lesser letters if is profile imported to other device. Resulted text may be out of boundary

SongJiang
    Participant

Yes I see, it sounds obvious. But the biggest issue I have is for example:
    My Bandit kings of ancient China profile always work on my S7, but when I try to use it on my p30 it seems the pixel trap has difficulty to work sometime it catch the right screen, most on the time, it’s not.
    Even more weird: I did my Sherlock Holmes profile on the p30, was working few at the time I published it here. Now it’s not anymore and I still have the same p30… again, seems pixel trap but I’m not sure xD

admin
    Keymaster

Hmm pixel trap is independent of your new screen, it depends on game resolution and pixels in texture. I can make some tests.

Edit: is there some specific place in the game where pixel trap does bot work always?

SongJiang
    Participant

For example, Bandit Kings mgc let me a black screen on start. I set up a “start” action for this game that show the “intro” layer. I also set up a lot of Pixel traps to trigger specific screens and hide/show layers accordingly, for this game. But if I let the pixel trap function enabled, the “start” action is cancelled immediatly. It’s like some pixels traps running every frames and trigger their “hide all layer” action at every frame. Really difficult to explain it properly since I don’t really know what is happening.
    On other hand my Tomb Raider mgc seems to works :/

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.