VERY slow startup – Might and Magic 3 – Isles of Terra

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Cori91
    Participant

Hello guys!

I’m new to Magic Dosbox so I got a bit puzzled here, I watched a few videos, read a few forum posts but still stuck.

Anyway I downloaded Magic Dosbox, got MM3 Isles of Terra.
    I got to launching the game, but it starts up soooo slooow. I thought it crashed or I set it up badly. But no, first it’s a black screen (guess it’s for loading) then sloowly the New World Computing logo comes up then slowly again the “Presents” word under it. But it’a so slow that again I thought it crashed.

Anyway I got there and I got stuck, not sure if I have to press any keys to get to the main menu but I’ll figure that out, the main thing is that the logo comes up so slow I guess the game will be this slow too. I tried to change te cpu cycles but If i go to expert mode and change it the says I have mount it at start up so I’m not sure what’s up.

Any help from the DOS afficionados here? Thank you!

Cori91
    Participant

Nobody? 🙁

I have tried MM 4-5 World of Xeen. And it is working fine! So I’m not sure what’s up with Isles of Terra.

admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

Mm3 must work fine. Let the performance in game profile on automatic. The only thing what comes on my mind is that the game what you downloaded has is set to different sound card then you have in game profile (game profile is setup of your emulated machine). Run install.exe from mm3 directory and set it to sound blaster 16.

Cori91
    Participant

It is running with Soun blaster 16, although in the conf file under sblaster there’s sbtype=SB2. Although even if I change the sound card to SB 2.0 it’s still very slow.

Performance is automatic too.

🙁

admin
    Keymaster

Hm, in game profile – scroll to main program and press button “get”. Generate expert config and paste it here please.

Cori91
    Participant

Alright I got it. Hope it helps!

[dosbox]
    memsize=16
    #vmemsize=2
    #vmemsizekb=0
    machine=svga_s3

[render]
    aspect=false
    frameskip=0

[cpu]
    core=dynamic
    cputype=auto
    cycles=max 105%
    cycleup=500
    cycledown=500

[speaker]
    pcspeaker=true
    pcrate=8000
    tandy=off
    tandyrate=22050
    disney=false

[midi]
    mpu401=none

[gus]
    gus=false

[sblaster]
    sbtype=sb2
    mixer=true
    oplmode=auto
    oplemu=fast
    oplrate=16000

[mixer]
    nosound=false
    prebuffer=15
    rate=16000
    blocksize=512

[ipx]
    ipx=false

[serial]
    serial1=disabled
    serial2=disabled
    serial3=disabled
    serial4=disabled

[dos]
    xms=true
    ems=true
    umb=true

[joystick]
    joysticktype=none

[autoexec]
    mount c: “<games>/Might and Magic 3 – Isles of Terra (1991)/MM3/”
    c:
    MM3.EXE

admin
    Keymaster

Try sbtype=sb16. But this is only a better sound. If in mm3 config is set midi then change it to sound blaster, this can make the slownest. Else all looks good. Do you run it from sdcard or internal storage?

Cori91
    Participant

You mean that I change in the config file?

I’ll try although there’s not even music even though the game loads in with like 1fps, so there is video, but to get to the main menu I have to wait minutes.

It is run from internal, don’t have an sd card for the phone.

I have no idea what could be the problem. Although I randomly downloaded the game from google from a link, but not sure what could be different for the gog version. (didn’t want to bother with gog for the phone although I have it there)

Cori91
    Participant

If I change sbtype to sb16 in the config and enable expert command and then start… somehow the dosbox doesn’t find the game, says I have to mount it.

admin
    Keymaster

Did you run install.exe and set sound card in that utility? And what it tries to mount? There should be info about path which it tried.

Cori91
    Participant

Yes. I set “Install.exe” for the Setup, the Main program is “MM3.exe”.
    Tried the sound with sound blaster 2 or 16, both settings have no sound and the game running with low framerate.

The thing is in my .conf file, under autoexec, I have this… (if I want to launch with expert commands)

[autoexec]
    @Echo Off
    mount c: <games>
    c:

My game is in games folder under another folder named MM3.

Shouldn’t I change the location to?

[autoexec]
    @Echo Off
    mount c c:\games\MM3
    c:

But I tried this and says that the directory c:\games\MM3 does not exist.

Drive C does not exist.

What the hell?

Thanks for the help by the way!

admin
    Keymaster

Allright, but did you launch install.exe? And did you set the sound card in install.exe?(not in game profile). You must set sound card in game profile (your emulated machine) and the same in mm3’s install.exe program (in ms-dos was not plug-and-play detection for sound card, user had to instruct the program manually which sound card is in the pc)

“mount c c:\games\MM3” cannot work, you are not on windows.

You can use “mount c /android/data/bruenor.magicbox/files” for private application folder or “mount c: ” for public storage on android 11+ (you must grant read/write permissions in initial survey on some folder). Public storage for android 10 and below can be “mount c /storage/emulated/0/” for example. Google messed it terribly.

But generally “mount c: ” is correct. It replaces with granted path.

What is your android version?

Al ex
    Keymaster

The cycles=max setting in Dosbox can act up in rare cases. If I use it in Screamer 2 for example, I’m forever stuck at the loading screen. It doesn’t seem to pick up speed for reason, and stay at its slowest setting.
    So maybe it’ll help if you try a fixed cycle setting, like cycles=5000.
    I’ll see if I can get my hands on it for some testing.

admin
    Keymaster

I believe in this case is conflicting wrong sound card or irq. I experienced mysterious slownest several times in the past. Re-setup game’s install.exe ot setup.exe with correct sound card should fix it.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Could be possible. I’ve tested the game, basic game profile, no expert settings. Just picked the exe file, launched the game, and it worked fine. So it’s definitely doable. 👍

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.