System Shock and MIDI Synth

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Al ex
    Keymaster

Have you installed the game from and iso image? Or have you “acquired” it somewhere? Because abandonware rips can be broken.
    You don’t need a boot disk, it’s working out of the box.

snike
    Participant

I only have the Gog.com version of the game, I guess I haven’t thought of trying it out first, so my bad on that part, which version are you using btw? And yes I just tried an abandonware version just to be quick, but guess it didn’t pay off.

snike
    Participant

To be more precise, I tried an abandonware version thinking that the Gog and other versions for PC had different files compared to the old Dos version? Maybe I’m wrong.

snike
    Participant

Does Magic DoxBox work by chance with the Enhanced Edition of the game? (guessing it doesn’t but not sure)

Al ex
    Keymaster

It won’t hurt to try. I do own the Gog version, but for testing purposes, I have installed from an iso image instead. So I’d have to try the Gog version instead. But if it works in aFreeBox, it works in Magic Dosbox. Have you mounted everything correctly, especially the game.dat image?

snike
    Participant

When you mention installing from the iso do you mean installing in Magic DosBox by typing the install.exe command or just copying the files after you’ve installed it on PC first? I’ll give it a try, thanks.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Doesn’t matter. You can install in Magic Dosbox, or install in Dosbox on your PC, and copy the files. As long as your mountings are correct, it will work.

When I get my hands on my PC, I can try the Gog version. I’m on holidays atm, so I only got my phone here. ?

snike
    Participant

A S7 Edge sounds like a good time for holidays hehe 🙂 btw I’ve tried installing it from Magic DosBox to c:\sshock and it said it installed successfully, however I’ve no idea where this folder is or if it’s a virtual one, since it mounted my directory to c:\sshock leaving me with no idea what files are in there, it said to run either the cdshock.exe or sshock.exe files but I’ve only gotten “Illegal command” errors. Ive tried running them instead from the CDROM folder from the Iso and again gotten fatal errors, error code 5001, execution error and it says “Cannot run directly from CD. Run executable from hard drive. Common problem solutions: – Increase files in config.sys to 30 or more. – Disable smartdrv write caching – Use a minimal config.sys and autoexec.bat” If I’m not doing something wrong with the Dos version I guess I’ll try the Enhanced Ed. in the end.

snike
    Participant

Found the SSHOCK folder in the end though it still gives me illegal command errors..sigh

snike
    Participant

Nope, the Enhanced Ed. tells me it’s a Windows NT windowed executable.. so I guess Idk.. the game plays smoothly, but it’s either no sound or no game at all, which, coming from a sucker for gaming music lol I find that quite unplayable, let me know if you have or if you find other fixes, thanks for the help in any case! 🙂

Al ex
    Keymaster

Can you tell me your mountings? I’m finding it very strange that it’s not working.
    Both aFreeBox (Dosbox Turbo) and Magic Dosbox are using ykhwong’s core, but Magic Dosbox is far more sophisticated and compatible.

Oh, and there’s an SVGA upgrade for System Shock DOS, which is working nicely.

snike
    Participant

Well I’m running System Shock from my sdcard, though in the file manager it gives me another directory, or I should say it’s renamed in a different way, the path is storage/A5B4-17E5/ instead of just sdcard (I’ve no idea why it’s like this), but it works nonetheless, I’m not sure if this has got anything to do with the errors/sound/audio etc. I also prefer Magic DosBox over aFreeBox since the latter is laggier also, at least depending on what setting you use. I’d really like to get the game to work, hopefully. 🙂

Al ex
    Keymaster

Ah, ok. That’s your external sd card. You need to request access for Magic Dosbox in Global settings. Android blocks access for god knows what reasons.
    Open Magic Dosbox
    Tap Settings icon (the cogwheels)
    Tap Global settings
    Scroll down to sd card permissions, tap Request permission
    Select the root of your external sd card from the Android file manager
    Maybe you’ll have to tap menu button – show external sd card inside the file manager, of it’s hidden.

snike
    Participant

I guess things just get weirder every time hehe, it says that my system allows only to read my sd card, and if I tap on “request access” so I can access all it sends me to the default android file manager saying “open from” and with the internal memory and sdcard as my options, what should I open though, I’ve no idea..

Al ex
    Keymaster

Ah, ok. That’s your external sd card. You need to request access for Magic Dosbox in Global settings. Android blocks access for god knows what reasons.
    Open Magic Dosbox
    Tap Settings icon (the cogwheels)
    Tap Global settings
    Scroll down to sd card permissions, tap Request permission
    Select the root of your external sd card from the Android file manager
    Maybe you’ll have to tap menu button – show external sd card inside the file manager, if it’s hidden.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.