System Shock and MIDI Synth

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Lambduck
    Participant

Hi, when I’m playing System Shock(CD Ver.) with MIDI Synth, The game crashes in specific point. for me, The Cyberspace and Level 2’s music is making the game crash while Level 1 is almost fine. I still dunno it is System Shock itself’s bug or MIDI synth’s.

Al ex
    Keymaster

IMHO, it’s unlikely it’s a problem with this port. Two questions: (1) have you tried it with a different port on a PC, e.g. ykhwong’s build? And (2) are you using your own cd image from an original cd? Because downloaded versions are often unstable or incomplete, and make troubleshooting almost impossible.

Cheers!

admin
    Keymaster

Hi guys,

I am sorry, I didn’t play System shock so far. Can you please provide more info where it crashes? Please did you tried it on PC dosbox version? Or maybe you can send crash report…

Best regards,
    Tony

Al ex
    Keymaster

Or upload (post link to) a savegame file right before the crash?

Lambduck
    Participant

Sorry for late reply:
    for more specific, when I access the cyberspace or Level 2 and the synth starts playing the level’s music in General MIDI setting, the game immediately get crash. Playing Level 1’s music is “almost” fine, which means has no problem but sometimes get crash. Playing Level R’s music is looks fine, but more unstable than Level 1.

Actually, it was “archived” one. but has no problem in both official build and ykhwong build(Jan, 15, 2015) on PC.

However, it has one bizarre issue: in General MIDI mode, the game doesn’t output any kinds of voice message and has no option about it(works fine in SB16 mode). but I don’t know if this issue could be connected with the main problem.

Heres the savefile: http://www.mediafire.com/download/f33y1dmjhqic7fd/SAVGAM03.DAT
    difficulties are set to 0/2/0/0 and proceed to in front of the cyberspace connector.

Anyway how I could find a crash report?

Al ex
    Keymaster

Strange, it’s working for me, both with the original German CD version and the “archived” (ahem…) version behind your link. Which, being an iso image, is “original” at least in a technical sense, too. 😉
    Does the crash occur immediately, or do I have to play for a while?

Anyway, try this config file. It’s very basic, only Dpad and Enter key to head into the game.

Things you must do:
    1. configure MIDI source. I’m using SGM V2.01.sf2 soundfont, renamed to SGM-V2.01.sf2, because ykhwong’s build doesn’t support spaces in file names (mDosbox does, though ?). It’s easily the best sounding sound font IMHO, especially in Warcraft 2.
    2. configure the mountings. My Note 4 has that strange “0000-0000” for extSdCard since the Marshmallow upgrade, and you’ll need to point both c and d drive to the right place on your device.
    3. I forgot to adjust the mouse, too: set Adcanved settings -> Manual correction -> Enabled, 640×200 (don’t ask me why, but this seems to work).

Hope this helps. If not, keep posting. It shouldn’t be a matter of your settings, at least if you use my config, because everything’s fine here. Btw, the error log can be created (I think) by ticking “Enable debugging” in Global Settings (at the bottom of the menu).

admin
    Keymaster

Hmm maybe you can try transfer the game to device again. Maybe during transfer became one or more files corrupted. I experienced this issue after removing cable from pc without pressing “remove device safety”.

Tony

snike
    Participant

Hello 🙂 , how do you guys manage to run the audio/sound? The best I could get was some choppy MT-32 settings in aFreeBox but no sound at all in Magic DosBox, any tips? Thanks. 🙂

Al ex
    Keymaster

Basically, you need to transfer the MT32 roms to your phone, point Magic Dosbox to their location, and setup sound correctly in System Shock.
    I can confirm it’s working well (S7 Edge Exynos), but depending on your cpu, it might run choppy, of course.

snike
    Participant

I have done the first step of transfering the files, so you actually have to do the setup in the game menu as well?
    I’m on a P9 Lite w/ Kirin, the game itself runs smoothly compared to the aFreeBox version, it’s just the sound that I’m interested in, I’ll have a look again, thanks! 🙂

snike
    Participant

Sorry for sounding like a noob, though I haven’t played a Dos game in ages, is my problem the fact that I’m running the game from the sshock.exe file instead of launching install.exe? (which I have tried, however it doesn’t let me continue if I hit enter?) In any case I did not find an audio/sound option in the game menu, do I have to look somewhere else? Thanks.

snike
    Participant

This is just weird, I tried the install.exe option again, and tested out the Sound FX and Music cards and they both play brilliantly, I just don’t get it why they don’t work in the game..

Al ex
    Keymaster

Could be read-only files, could be a broken installation. If you get sound im install.exe, then Magic Dosbox is at least properly configured. Is there an option to save the sound config in install.exe?

snike
    Participant

Well, if I try to “Exit & save” it tells me “Can’t write config file because the game hasn’t been installed.” (which I’m trying to fix by creating a boot disk..? that tells me that I’m missing the “himem.sys” file and that I need to copy it to my boot disk, after installation is complete..?) As you can tell, I’m trying by guess and luck.. oh boy

snike
    Participant

I’ve also tried the Synth and Gravis UltraSound option though with no luck, Magic DosBox is by far the most friendly-user of all versions, but damn, at times these emulators are really finicky hehe, just to make one aspect of them work.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.