List of supported Win3.1 and Win9.x Games

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    admin
    Keymaster

I will update this list from comments and emails. Magic Dosbox should support in base almost all games like classic dosbox, but there can be differences.

Games

Name
    Fallout 2
    Diablo 1
    Diablo 2 (currently slow)
    Age of Empires
    Jazz Jackrabbit 2
    Brave soul
    StarCraft 1
    Dune 2000
    KKnD 2
    Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines
    Civilization 2
    Mission force cyberstorm
    Darxim
    Participant

Civilization 2 runs fine in Windows 3.1. Most people who are having problems running it are trying to run the version that was modified to run in modern Windows, but the original release works fine (patched up to 2.42, which was the last patch). I don’t know if the Gold or Test of Time releases work, though.

Thank you, list was updated(admin)

admin
    Keymaster

thank you, updated

JoeKirk
    Participant

Hi
    Could you specify how you got civ2 working. I really want to play this game on my tablet but i always get the ‘must run in windows’ error. I updated my version on 2.42 but still no success.
    Any hints/advices would be highly appreciated … thanx

DosboxGamer
    Participant

Hi,
    I have been using magic dosbox instead of dosbox turbo
    and it is fantastic but i cant manage to run win9x games…How do you ran these games?reply plz

admin
    Keymaster

Hi, thanks. Running windows games requires to have installed windows95 or windows98.

In this post we discussed about that
    https://magicbox.imejl.sk/?topic=win3-1-and-win9-x-games/#post-2580

Trencher
    Participant

Castle of the Winds (win3.1) works fine.

Mechwarrior 2 Combat in the 31st Century (pentium edition)

Larrynho
    Participant

Tested Rainbow Six – Rogue Spear on Win 95… works but too much slow on my s7 edge ( Im talking about screen refresh every 5-6 seconds)

Larrynho
    Participant

Tested Dark Forces 2 on win 95 on my s7 edge… too slow to play (5-8 fps ) but gog version works “out of the box”.

Edit: setting win 95 to 640×480 8 bit color and pumping mdb to 150000 cycles makes the game somewhat playable (in the 30s fps ) but turs the phone into a toaster.

Larrynho
    Participant

Tested Carmaggedon 2… same as previous 3d games… just too slow to play ( software or direct3d mode).

Im seeing a pattern here..I just give up on 3d games 😛

Al ex
    Keymaster

Out of interest: do you have an Exynos S7, or Snapdragon?

Larrynho
    Participant

Exynos.

/cry.

Al ex
    Keymaster

That’s good. The Exynos chips are more than twice as fast as the Snapdragons when it comes to emulation, and Dosbox in particular.

The bad thing is, these games are obviously too demanding even for modern smartphones. ?

Larrynho
    Participant

I do a lot of emulation and in my experience, snapdragon is quite better than exynos for emulation and gaming in general… specially since opengl drivers for the mali gpu are crap. As for Dosbox in particular I have no idea :p

The other problem with exynos is the heavy temp throttling it suffers… performance drops easily 20-30% in 15-20 seconds of any demanding game.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.