When is console mode coming back?

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    The Game Foxx
    Participant

I haven’t been active on the forum for about 10 months sadly, but now im back! My question is when is console mode coming back? I was setting up the emulator on my nvidia shield, but using the controller by itself makes it near impossible to navigate the menus.

admin
    Keymaster
    SomeGuy
    Participant

Just bought Magic Dosbox and installed it on the Shield TV. Is there any chance of implementing some visual indicator of what game / menu option you are selecting from the main screen on Android TV devices?

I noticed in an old video it looked like you could enable a blue cursor that was controlled by the joystick. Pretty much everything else can be setup so that you only need a gamepad once the options are configured, so I found the lack of gamepad support on the game selection screen to be the biggest obstacle toward using this as an Android TV app.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Uh, sorry for the late reply.
    Console mode has been removed for the time being, due to some issues. It’s on the backlog though, and should hopefully be reimplemented at some point. I’m not developing this app, so I can’t give you any hard facts. But an awful lot of work has been put into the development of console mode, so it won’t just be dropped. 🙂

Are you completely unable to use Magic Dosbox on your Shield TV right now? Or have found some sort of workaround at least?

SomeGuy
    Participant

Thank you for the reply. I am able to use Magic Dosbox on the Shield TV, it’s just a little confusing to navigate the main menu to choose a game. The D-Pad can be used to select the game, but there is no visual aid to tell which icon the focus is on (such as a highlight / underscore .etc).

I tried to free version before I bought it and then bought it anyway since it’s still a great app. It’s good to hear the console mode feature hasn’t been forgotten about.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Good, at least you can use the app.
    Fixing console mode seems to be rather challenging, and Tony (the dev) is doing all this as a side project in his spare time, that’s why it’s taking time.

Can you perhaps connect a mouse to your Shield TV? I guess you’re simply counting rows and columns now, to select the game you want to play, and that’s probably kinda working. But a bluetooth mouse could make things easier. ?

admin
    Keymaster

Alex is right, already was done enormous work on console mode and is not forgotten. Whole UI is reworked and must be compatible with arrows, enter and back keys, this is google’s restriction. Many options are complicated for this navigation and its logic works differently then on touchscreens. And in one point I needed rest and I focused on addon to mdosbox because i want play ishar trilogy. I will return back to console mode as soon as possible

Banjo
    Participant

I’d personally suggest just implementing the controller support for the menu via right-stick-as-mouse-cursor as a temporary measure. Full TV compatibility (console mode) would be awesome, but being able to use a controller like we can a physical mouse to navigate the menus would be fine from my point of view and would mean someone could use the app with “just” a controller rather than *having* to use a mouse if they have no touchscreen. I’d also think it would be a lot less work to enable this over developing the full console mode revamp?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.