Tagged: Duke 3D on Android
21. April 2018 at 7:50 #5890
I created this layout for people who like to play Duke3D on touchscreen. I created icons quickly with Magic Icons Designer (if you like my work, you can support me and send ideas for new icons :D). This is attempt to play Duke3D like a modern shooter on touchscreen.
- Duke Nukem Atomic version
- Magic Dosbox v63+ (in the time of writing this is out version 62)
- version 1 – initial layout
- version 2 – added support for inventory
DukeNukem3D mgc file
Run SETUP.EXE and “Sound Setup” should be :
- Current Sound FX Card (Sound Blaster)
- Current Music Card (Sound Blaster)
- Sound FX Volume 
- Music Volume 
Controller Setup should be : Controller Setup->Choose Controller Type->Keyboard and Mouse
Setup Mouse should be :
Single Clicked Mouse Buttons:
- Left Button (Fire)
- Middle Button – does not matter what you set here
- Right Button – Mouse_Aiming
In Mouse Aiming Mode set momentary button and enable “Invert Mouse Aiming up and down”
How to use it
Main idea is : Finger on left hand controls joystick (forward/backward/strafe). Finger on right hand controls turning to left/right with relative mouse and buttons for fire etc. Mouse sensitivity can be adjusted on several places – in duke options and in magic dosbox as well.
Layout starts like is seen on picture above. One-two seconds runs two automatic macros which sets “mouse aim” button(10) and “run” button(2). After this action they will be disabled. During gameplay enable “mouse aim”. Disable mouse aim when in menu, else menu wont react (because I set mouse aim to right mouse button). Disable/enable run by your needs. Remember, loading states can breaks these buttons states. In mouse option is disabled mouse clicking, it only does movement (due unwanted fire). If you experience strange behaviors try re-push buttons for aim and run.
- 1 – Fire – Enabled flag “Non Blocking” which allows fire and aim at once
- 2 – Run – Enable/Disable togger
- 3 – Use/Open/Manipulate
- 4 – Kick
- 5 – Jump
- 6 – Next/Previous weapon
- 7 – Crouch
- 8 – Joystick, strafe left/right, move forward/backward
- 9 – Secondary fire. Sometimes I need precise aim and fire (with rpg)
- 10 – Enable/Disable mouse aim
- 11 – Pause/Play game
- 12 – Map/Jetpack/Night vision
- 13 – Menu – save/load states
Tips at the end
24. April 2018 at 10:16 #5892
- Play at 320×200, it is fast
- If you need better performance use always Sound Blaster 2.0 in setup
- If you need yet more performance, you must use expert settings and set cycles=max 120%. In this case I recommend scroll down to “Main Program”. On right side is button “GET”. Here generate all to clipboard. Now open expert settings and replace old content with newly generated config in clipboard
So far so good ! It works very good on the MDB beta build, its so much more confortable than my own design without mouse aiming. Definetly a step in the right direction. Tested in duke 3d and tweaked it for blood ( same engine ) and works quite nice too.
Next step: add the option in the virtual dpad to have combined keypresses for 1 direction (up+left, up+right, dow+left, down+right )… thats the final step I think to make the controls perfect.
Love this, mad props dev 😀
edit: ok forguet about the diagonal thing… its toggleable in the dpad options XD Contros are a-ok. LOVE EM.27. April 2018 at 0:24 #5924
Seems to be a very great job !!!
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.