WIN3.1 AND WIN9.X GAMES

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Moromillas
    Participant

Just tried Half-Life with my GOTY copy, both on virtual box and magic dosbox. Same result. It doesn’t recognise a resolution lower than 640×480. The best I could do was to add “-window -w 320 -h 200” to the shortcut properties. But it seems to be prone to crashing, and the fullscreen version won’t stretch out the image to fit the screen.

I found others talking about the resolution as well; where they too remember setting it to 320×200 back in the day, and how they couldn’t now. So I’m not going crazy or anything. Those resolutions are just lost to us, though I’m not sure why.
    http://forums.bots-united.com/showthread.php?t=3531

I did find a video, where someone found some sort of experimental port of Half-Life for android:

Thought I’ve not tried it yet.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Xash isn’t experimental at all. There’s a 100% working port on Google Play, and there’s even a VR version. This one is insanely ingenious. ??

Al ex
    Keymaster

And while you’re at it, make sure to check out Beloko Games’ site. He posted all his ports for free after he got banned from Google Play (for using copyrighted images? I don’t know). Jedi Outcast & Jedi Academy in particular are still incredibly good games today, better than any native mobile game. And he made Quake 1-3 ports, as well as Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

And if your want some really serious action, check out DIII4A: that one’s a Doom 3 port (!!!) for Android. With a little tweaking, I was able to run it full speed on my old Note 2, and on my S7, it’s running smoothly with Ultra Detail. ??

As with Half-Life, you’ll need the original game files for all these ports. They all have great, completely configurable touch controls, so they’re all worth playing.

Someone321
    Participant

It’s probably too late to say this but anyways, you can play Half Life and CS 1.6 with Xash, it has mod support and multiplayer too! So you don’t need any emulators for that… And surprisingly CS 1.6 Multiplayer works perfectly without any problems on my bad phone, I tried custom maps too, it runs perfectly too… Great to see someone ports these games to Android!

Al ex
    Keymaster

Yeah, it’s great. Have you tried Jedy Outcast & Academy? Both should work great on your phone, too.?

pancho
    Participant

Hello, i have the following problem.
    I’m trying to launch Sid Meyer’s Alpha Centauri on my Galaxy Note 5.
    It works great if I disable sound, but once I enble sound the game crashes right after planetfall.
    Tried to launch through differnt versions of Windows (95 and 98), tried to install different codecs, DirecX versions, tried even to emulate Gravis Ultrasound, everytime the same result.
    The sound in Alpha Centauri is the part of the game athmosfere, it would be really cool to play it with adio effects.
    Can anybody help me with this?

admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

Ok hard to say now. I must try it. But, maybe you can try switch to second core “SVN”. Is result the same?

pancho
    Participant

Will try switching to SVN.
    But seems that it is not Magic Dosbox app issue. Just tried Desktop Dosbox and have the same error. Seems that it is dosbox core issue.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Hm, some DirectSound thing perhaps? I’m not 100% sure, but isn’t there an option to reduce hardware acceleration in Windows 95 somewhere?

Al ex
    Keymaster

No, sorry. Doesn’t work. I’ve disabled hardware sound acceleration completely in dxdiag, but the game still crashes.
    Changing to SVN core doesn’t help, either.
    Vanilla PC Dosbox crashes, ykhwong’s build even enters a BSOD.
    Maybe another soundcard config, like SB2? Or maybe try Windows 98?

Windows 95 is an evil bastard… ?

pancho
    Participant

Tried win 98, tried sb2, always the same result. So, playing wthout sound.

Al ex
    Keymaster

OK, obviously a general Dosbox issue. But you can play Starcraft instead, that one’s working perfectly. ?

Windows 3.1 is super easy you dont even need to make an image just copy windows 3.1 to wherever you designated as the root of dosbox, navigate to the directory and run windows.bat, then enjoy the 16 bit goodness that only the late 80s early 90s can provide.

Hi,
    Does this build support legacy plug and play ? (isapnpbios). If so do i just manually insert it into cpu category

e.g. core=dynamic
    Cputype=auto
    Cycles=max
    ????isapnpbios=true?????
    This ^^^ is where i think it would go at least this is where ive seen the setting before. If not is there a work around ? (Maybe a w95/98 driver)

Did it crash dosbox, windows, or just the game (my assumption is the game but never hurts)Did it give you an error message upon crash e.g the application has (your game) caused an illegal operation and was shut down (error code)? If so what was the reason and code if applicable for crash. Its audio so im thinking file your needing or missing is .wav

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.