Swipe directions are super confusing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    fakacz
    Participant

From https://magicbox.imejl.sk/swipes/ :

“Swipe must be leaded from chosen side to opposite. This means, when you are doing swipe to UP, than swipe from up to down.”

This just bit me as a new user. “To swipe to up, swipe to down” — this is extremely counterintuitive and many users will get confused by this. 99% of the population, if they read/hear “swipe up”, they just swipe up, i.e. to the north. I agree that it is possible to have a controller where pressing left will result in going right, and a user will probably adapt to this after some time, but it just makes no sense.

admin
    Keymaster

If you swipe in browser and you want to get to top of the page then you drag finger from up to down, or quickly swipe from up to down. The same if you scroll screen in mobile rts games and others.

fakacz
    Participant

I’ve never seen swiping from up to down being called swiping up, it’s the website that moves up, not the swipe action. If one sees a swipe action associated with the arrow pointing down, like here: https://i.imgur.com/Rvbvh8o.jpeg , then the vast majority are going to attempt swiping down, according to the direction of the arrow. Well, unless they read the entire instructions beforehand, which, as you can probably guess, does not always happen in the real world 🙂

admin
    Keymaster

After all these years is questionable to change it. But what could be better. “Swing”?

fakacz
    Participant

I’m afraid “Swing” wouldn’t tell people much, inverting the swipes would be the best option, but if you think that’s impossible, then I think at least adding a hint/warning about the peculiar behavior when the gestures/swipes options are opened for the first time would be better than nothing.

SongJiang
    Participant

Always confused me too. I have to try in game immediately each time I configure it and I fail most of the time even with the arrows showing the directions in the layout editor XD

admin
    Keymaster

sorry people for that. I can add there hint. Any idea what should be there?

fakacz
    Participant

Maybe something like: “NOTE: The direction of the arrows is the opposite of the expected direction of the swipe, e.g. left arrow indicates a swipe from left to right”.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.