Show current cycles on screen

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Doomgiver
    Participant

Hello, is there a widget or command that lets MagicDOSbox display my current amount of cycles on screen when running it at performance mode set to “cycles: max” or “automatic adjustment”?

admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

No, currently there is not this option.

Doomgiver
    Participant

It would be nice if that feature could be implemented in a future update, since it would greatly help adjusting performance in custom cycles mode.

I’m currently running MagicDOSbox on a Samsung Galaxy S21 FE snd performance is very good. I have no issues with having not enough power for running a game smoothly. In fact more the opposite is the case where I need to limit cycles in order my battery usage is reduced to the minimum I need.

I’m running Master of Orion 2 and Panzer General on a fixed amount of 45000 cycles each and have a battery usage of 1% every 7 minutes, so 10% in about 1 hour, which is really good.

Currently I want to run C&C Tiberian Dawn and on automatic performance adjustment mode with audio SB16 the game runs super smooth but the phone consumes quite some more battery than Master of Orion 2 and Panzer General on 45000 cycles and the phone is getting warm pretty quickly (on the former two games it isn’t getting really warm), but I have no idea in what range the cycles are running for C&C.

admin
    Keymaster

Ah okay, I understand. Cycles max try to get maximum, however unlike fixed cycles are changing and adopting in runtime. You can try for example cycles=max 50% instead cycles=max 105% (maximum allowed in config is 120%, but sound may stutter);

Doomgiver
    Participant

Thank you very much. Cycles=max 50% sounds promising. I have to make myself familiar with expert settings, since I havn’t used them before.

By the way: What CPU type can you recommend for best experience? I mostly use dynamic CPU type. When (or for what phone or games) is CPU dynamic or auto better?

admin
    Keymaster

It depends on game. For dos games is probably better “auto”, if they run fast enough. For example, warcraft 2 intro runs better on auto then on max. And it eats less battery. But I use almost always dynamic. Is fastest, i use auto only when game runs too fast.

Doomgiver
    Participant

Thank you for the Information. I’m currently trying out CPU set to auto for Panzer General and Master of Orion 2 and compare it with dynamic.

The difference seems small so far, but I think from my feeling CPU auto is better and consumes a bit less battery as you already noted.

Doomgiver
    Participant

By the way: Is there some list of cycles simulating different processor types from the DOS era? I found the amounts of cycles regularly recommended on regular DOSBox for computer not fitting (I regularly need to set higher amounts) when playing around with cycles on Android MagicDOSbox.

admin
    Keymaster

No, I have not this list…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.