Magic Dosbox on the Sony Smartwatch 3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    ignatius333
    Participant

Hi all,

I’m trying to get Magic Dosbox working on the Sony Smartwatch 3. Although, I am able to play most games, I am unable to play games that need keyboard input. Anyone have any ideas, tips or tricks on how to get the virtual keyboard working?

Thanks,
    ignatius333

admin
    Keymaster

Hello,

uh:) Your post surprised me. I never though that someone may want play these old games on smart watches, because the display is really small:) What games did you try and how they work on this device? Really interesting.

But back to your question. I never tried smart watches, is there any way how to popup virtual keyboard? Or is there back button? Maybe you can try add virtual buttons – “Key widget” on the screen.

Best regards,
    Tony

Edit : I am going download google wear emulator for test

ignatius333
    Participant

Hi,

I know, my case is unusal. But, I actually enjoy playing these old games on my watch. 🙂
    No, there is no pop-up keyboard, and there is no back button. 🙁 I watched a Youtube video on how to add widgets to the screen, but the video did not go in depth on how to actually achieve this. So, may I ask how it’s done?

Much thanks,
    ignatius333

admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

here is video tutorial

But it’s made for standard android devices. You said, you don’t have back button. I use back button for showing “General settings” from where you can edit your game layout.

This process will be simplified in next version, but still needs back button, because it calls menu options.

Has your smart watch any special buttons? Maybe I can re-bind “back button” to something else.

Edit : Another option is made key layout on standard device and then import it on watch. The buttons are saved in percentage values, so buttons proportions will be scaled. Well, there may be problem with another screen aspect ratio, but with some effort it could be done.

Best regards,
    Tony

admin
    Keymaster

Please how you type text now? You use speech to text feature? Or do you have any kind of virtual keyboard (like this one : http://minuum.com/minuum-on-smartwatch/)?

ignatius333
    Participant

Yes, I have the Minuum soft keyboard on my device.

Thanks,
    ignatius333

ignatius333
    Participant

Also, there is a button on the right side of the watch. It’s used to reboot the watch when pressed for a period of time. Would it be possibly to “map” this button to bring up the menu?

Thanks,
    ignatius333

ignatius333
    Participant

I guess it could be considered a “back” button. As that’s what it does, when in an app, it takes me back to the “home” screen.

admin
    Keymaster

Hmm, I will search more info about the reboot button. Looks like deep system button, so I am not sure.

With back button I mean this:
    If you check the video what I posted above, there is bottom status bar with onscreen buttons. One looks like triangle. If you press it then it returns you one step back. In our case it closes dialogs or opens general settings. It’s important button.

The button what you describe is “Home button”.

Btw : I was able start smart watch emulator. The user interface has glitches, but overall look is usable.

In worst case I can add fixed button what will emulate back button.

Edit : Hmm I see that Sony Smartwatch 2 has this button

ignatius333
    Participant

Home button. Ahh. I see. Yeah, that’s the Smartwatch 2. The Smartwatch 3 doesn’t have those buttons, unfortunately 🙁

admin
    Keymaster

Hmm that’s bad. We can try hook at this reboot button. Can you send me an email? I’ll prepare test version.

admin
    Keymaster

One more question. If you start web browser. How do you navigate to previous web page?

ignatius333
    Participant

Sure. I’d be glad to test out a beta version. 🙂 If that’s what you meant..

admin
    Keymaster

yes, but please send em an email.

If you start web browser. How do you navigate to previous web page?
    How you increase/decrease volume? Do you have any buttons for this action?

Do you have button what can show application menu? In smartwatch 2 it was the right button with dots

Edit : I just tried to handle home button, unfortunately it was not handled with magic dosbox. This buttons seems to be too much system based

admin
    Keymaster

Ok I found this

“Though you’ll be doing most of your navigation via the watch’s touchscreen display, the SmartWatch 3 does have a physical button on the side for when you need to quickly wake it up (or put it back to sleep). You can also hold it down as a shortcut to the Settings menu”

Please can you confirm it? What setting is calls? It’s the magic dosbox menu?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.