HHow do I obtain boxart for the Magic DOSBox browser?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Tartarus89
    Participant

Hi,

New to the forum. Bought the latest version of Magic DOSBox last week and I love it. So happy that the author regularly updates it. On my device – an Asus ZenPad 3S 10 tablet – most games play fine, if I don’t use SVGA/VESA modes too much on FPSs like Redneck Rampage. I have a question. How do I get the boxart and artwork for the DOS games that are displayed in Magic Dosbox’s browser? Is there some kind of scraper for this? If not, I’d like to suggest this feature in future builds.

admin
    Keymaster

Hello,

Thank you very much for support. Please can you be more detailed, I am not sure exactly what you have on mind. Do you mean custom game logo for each game profile?

Best regards

Tartarus89
    Participant

Yes. Like the logos in your youtube videos. Did you install each one individually or did you use some kind of scraper?

browser

One more question: what’s the best widget setup for DOS first person shooters with Magic Dosbox? The one you used in the tutorial on youtube for Doom?

admin
    Keymaster

You can change game logo in game profile option (long press on game profile in browser). There is none mechanism for automatic logo download, due legal reasons…but you can add them manually.

For doom I like these two :

Doom by Dusko
    Doom by Alex

Here is mgc file sharing section:

[ENG] *.mgc files sharing and themes

EDIT : I prefer using “Native 2axis joystick” instead moving with keys

Tartarus89
    Participant

Great! Thanks. I have a PS4 DualShock controller that I can use but its kind of cumbersome to have to use my Sony Clip On holder for it. Would rather use on-screen widgets if possible.

admin
    Keymaster

Yes, depends on what you prefer. You can tune virtual joystick inner and outer size and position and forward and backward area of effect by moving inner joystick. Select inner virt. joystick elements with button on floating toolbar (bottom left corner on first level)

Tap twice on joystick for additional props

You can disable deactivate on leave

Tartarus89
    Participant

How do I import .mgc files? I have the paid version but I can’t find an import option.

Al ex
    Keymaster

1. Start Magic Dosbox
    2. Tap the orange “+” icon on the left
    3. Tap “Import profile” (the box icon)
    4. Browse to the location of your .mgc file (if you downloaded it to your phone, most likely in /sdcard/Download)
    5. That’s it.

Mind that you’ll have to adjust the mountings, because the .mgc files will point to the folders where the person uploading the file stored his/her game, and this will most likely differ from your folder structure.

Tartarus89
    Participant

Thanks, Alex. I really love this app. It’s so full-featured and complex that it will probably take quite a while to learn all its options. Of course with the help of the documentation, this forum, and the tutorials on youtube, I hope to persevere. One old DOS Game that I absolutely love is Star Wars Tie Fighter Collector’s CD ROM and I’m hoping to someday figure out if there’s an effective on-screen widget configuration for these types of games, but I may have to resort to my external controller for that. One disappointment I’ve experienced with Magic Dosbox is that some games just don’t support absolute mouse control but that’s not the developers fault. When it does work, however, it works amazingly well, just like native touch screen support. It’s quite a novelty to play some of these old classics like modern mobile games.

Al ex
    Keymaster

You’re right. Some games feel as if they were made for touch controls. In Advanced settings (ingame menu), there are some fixes for absolute mouse, which sometimes help. DOS programmers seem to have done weird stuff with mouse controls back then. 😉
    The widget configuration is so highly customizable, I’m sure you’ll figure something out that’ll suit your needs. If you want some inspiration and examples, just take a look at the different layouts in the .mgc section of this forum. You’ll need to be logged in to see & access it. Almost all of them contain screenshots and additional information.

admin
    Keymaster

Unfortunately not every game can use absolute mouse, but if you write below problematic games, then I can check them

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.