Help a noob out

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    ricciomt
    Participant

I seem to have gotten Sid Meiers Pirates to work following a similar set of steps, including working audio.

Al ex
    Keymaster

In your game profile, make sure you’ve checked the “EMS” checkbox. Also, though unlikely, the files might be write protected, wbich could cause issues.

I’ve just tested (extracted UW folder from game.gog to my DOS Games directory, launched Magic Dosbox, ran uinstall.exe,set sound card to SBPro), and it’s working just fine.

ricciomt
    Participant

Aha! That seems to have done it, I was running install1.EXE not uinstall.EXE

Al ex
    Keymaster

Ah yes, that’s kinda confusing. I never understood why it had to be uinstall instead of just install. ?‍♂️

ricciomt
    Participant

My mind kept reading it as uninstall not uinstall. ?

Al ex
    Keymaster

Lol, yes. And the separate uwsound doesn’t improve things either. But at least it’s a great game, and that’s all that matters. ?

ricciomt
    Participant

This is probably a futile question, but since I’m already using the mouse and keyboard on a Chromebooksis it possible to map mouse touches to keyboard buttons using the widgets, instead of the other way around? As in I press the keyboard button and the mouse touches the screen in a spot, instead of touching the screen to make it press a keyboard button? Or maybe I’m not understanding what the widgets do.

Al ex
    Keymaster

That’s possible, at least if I understood your question correctly. It’s a bit hidden under Voodoo Control – Assign gampead buttons. Try this:

1. Enter “add widgets” mode, and create a Deadly Strike widget
    a. enter the widget properties. Check “Undetectable”, uncheck “Visible” (so you won’t trigger it accidentally)
    b. scroll down to the bottom, click the orange “+” button
    c. scroll down the list, and select “Target”
    d. next, click the crosshair icon to the right of your newly added Target widget
    e. select the spot on the screen you want your mouseclick to target, then press back button (or right mouse
    f. save the widget by clicking the green checkmark

2. go back to play mode, press back button (right mouse)
    a. scroll down and click “Voodoo Control”
    b. enable mapper (topmost checkbox)
    c. Click on “Assign ganeoad buttons”
    d. click the orange “+” button
    e. press the keybpard key you want to map (yes, it accepts most keyboard keys as well, not only gamepad buttons)
    f. click the grey box that says “none”, and select your Deadly Strike widget from the list
    g. accept your changes by clicking the green checkmark

That’s it. Now, whenever you press the assigned key, it will issue a mouse click to the designated position.

ricciomt
    Participant

Just want to say thanks for all your guys help.

Al ex
    Keymaster

You’re welcome. Hope everything’s working now. ?

ricciomt
    Participant

I have a random question, actually, but this is about how this thing works on a Chromebook, which is, I assume, not part of the design. I clicked the Create Desktop Shortcut button, which didn’t seem to do anything, because of course Chromebook doesn’t have a desktop. I did notice it seemed to send the shortcut to the context menu:

Screenshot-2020-06-27-at-1-13-03-PM

Any theories on what is happening here? I had hoped there would be to make a shortcut into the launcher, which in Chromebook is the equivalent of the app drawer.

Another thing I’ve noticed is, when I go into the advanced settings to change the cycles, it seems to have a hard time launching the game from the path? Is this intentional for some reason? As in, instead of launching the game it takes me to the right directory and then I type in the name of the .exe file, which is not a huge deal it just seemed odd.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.