Help a noob out

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    ricciomt
    Participant

I just bought the paid version because the first game I tried worked almost perfectly. Hooray. Master of Orion 2.

I have a bunch of other games here but I’m having a lot of problems with. Any help would be appreciated. For the record this is being done on a Chromebook and a physical keyboard and mouse.

How do I access these other settings I see, for different types of mice, for example? I don’t see it in the regular menus.

Sid Meier’s Colonization just loads to a black screen. This game actually loads on DOSbox for chrome web extension so I know that it should theoretically work. I assume there’s some kind of config settings that I need to mess with?

SimCity 2000 loads but with no audio.

I have some other games that I bought off of gog.com and honestly I haven’t yet to figure out which is even the correct file to run them, the folders have all kinds of .Exe and .Bat files. If anyone has any experience running Sid Meier’s pirates, Ultima underworld, or sword of the samurai that could be helpful.

Any help would be super appreciated!

Al ex
    Keymaster

Hi, and welcome. To access the advanced settings (aka dosbox.conf), simply scroll down to the bottom of your game profile settings. Tick the “Expert commands” checkbox on the bottom left, then the cogwheel icon on the bottom right, and put whatever commands you like in the conf file.
    Don’t forget to accept your changes afterwards, and save your profile.

If you have specific questions about a certain game, you can post them here, along with the settings you’ve tried so far, amd we’ll figure out how to run it.

Basically, every game that works on the PC version of Dosbox will also work in Magic Dosbox.

ricciomt
    Participant

I seem to have gotten sword of the samurai to work! I am still looking at Colonization. Right now, the config is on default settings.

The DOSbox I was using before only showed like two settings:
    [sdl]
    output=opengl

To get the game to work I just had to put a # in front of the output line to turn off opengl and it seemed to load. What is the equivalent of that in this program?

ricciomt
    Participant

I tried just copying that setting to the bottom of the config file and it didn’t do anything.

ricciomt
    Participant

Now it won’t even mount the right directory?

admin
    Keymaster

Game should have setup exe. Most common problems are if game has set another sound card in setup then is configured in dosbox. Dosbox by default has sound blaster 16 and disabled midi (because android devices dont have midi onboard). Magic dosbox has differnt defaults then desktop dosbox, copy/paste of config may lead to strange issues. You should do these steps:

Let default mdosbox settings, fix paths. You should run game’s setup.exe/install.exe/setsound.exe first and adopt sound card to sb16. Later you can experiment with another sound cards.

If you have gog game for dosbox then you should check [autoexec] section in dosbox.config shipped with the game, maybe there is something weird, gog does it

But first you should run configuration exe file and fix sound card, this really can lead to weird problems.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Do you have any experience with the PC version of Dosbox? Because if not, we should skip the Expert settings part altogether, and stick with the UI config options.
    Meddling with the conf file can lead to countless issues if you’re not quite sure what to do.

And yes, GoG use some weird config schemes, e.g. two or three config files that are combined during the launch process.

ricciomt
    Participant

Thanks so much, fiddling with the sound card seems to have gotten most of the games running. Is there a way to help with chunkiness of the mouse movement? I turned mouse sensitivity way up and put on absolute mouse, I don’t know if there’s other settings that would help with that?

The last two games I’m trying to get to work are Sid Meier’s pirates gold and ultima underworld.

Honestly, the problem with both of these is looking through the install folders from gog, I literally don’t know what executable I’m supposed to launch. Is there a way to easily deduce that?

ricciomt
    Participant

I guess what I’m asking, are some of these Gog games packaged as such that running them out of this kind of emulator even possible?

Al ex
    Keymaster

The GoG releases of DOS games are bundled with either Dosbox, or ScummVM.
    Ultima Underworld runs in a Dosbox environment. Here’s what you need to do “extract” it from there:
    – Open the file game.gog with 7zip. It’s a renamed .iso, which in turn is similar to a zip file
    – copy the folder “UW” to the DOS games directory on your phone
    – launch Magic Dosbox, and create a new game profile
    – set “uw.exe” as main program, and “uwsound.exe” as setup file.
    – save profike
    – enter profile settings again, and tap “Setup” in the lower left corner. Comfigure sound with these settings: adress 220, irq 7, dma 1
    – save, quit, then launch the game

Al ex
    Keymaster

Regarding the mouse movement, that’s probably an issue with your device cpu vs the cycle settings of the games. When you reach the limit your cpu can handle, things become choppy. Using cycles=max, or, for older games, very low cycles settings, usually helps.

A game like Ultima Underworld runs great at 12000-14000 fixed cycles, that’s about the speed of an old 386/40 MHz.

admin
    Keymaster

I must add note, you are on chromebook. Physical mouse is not fully functional unless you have latest chromeos based on android9. Since android 8 you can hide double cursor. Btw, what you mean with mouse chopiness? If i remember well, ultima underworld cannot work with absolute mouse

ricciomt
    Participant

Thanks everybody, I will try this out tonight.

ricciomt
    Participant

Here’s what I get:
    UWSound
    Configures Underworld for non default soundcards

You do not currently have any sound devices installed
    If you wish to add sound devices run Install

If I just run uw.exe it seems to launch but with no audio.

ricciomt
    Participant

When I try to run the install file it gives me the sound card options but then throws an error: Expanded Memory Not detected.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.