Gog Kyrandia 3 no sound – not detect device

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Imc7R
    Participant

Gog have replaced the old ways to run a game in dos by making their own exe for win 10. But if you have access to the old ways games were kept, they work under dos.

In this case I have used the old MAIN.exe, can firstly setup.exe and set sound card to sound blaster/pro 2. And if I loaded it in DosBox on PC there is sound.

That’s how it worked on my older Samsung Galaxy s4. It had sound with magic dosbox.

On new phone like OnePlus 8 pro that’s more powerful it does not detect sound device. My very first time with this game was no sound too, so it makes sense to play it with sound only 🙂

Al ex
    Keymaster

Strange, should be working exactly like before. Are you using the same profile? Maybe check your soundcard settings in your Kyrandia install.

Al ex
    Keymaster

I’ve just tested mine, everything’s fine. Two things you might want to try:
    1. if you keep the game on external storage, make sure you’ve requested write access for Magic Dosbox from within the app’s general settings.
    2. check the sound settings, because by default, DOSBox uses IRQ7, whereas real hardware back then used IRQ5. At least my SBPro and SB16 back then, only the og Soundblaster was on IRQ7. Therefore, games with preconfigured settings might not have working sound right away.

Imc7R
    Participant

I wanted to run Kyrandia 3 with DosBox on both Mobile and PC. I was able by using GOG installation but needed the DOS files (MAIN.EXE, SETUP, CDEMU2 etc. I found them and on PC sound worked. On Mobile my old Samsung phone had sound with using the GOG installation + MAIN.EXE, SETUP, CDEMU2. On new phone which is powerful, 1+ 8 Pro there was NO SOUND. So I wanted to see if I could run it with the EXE packed by GOG.

Solution was: Just use SCUMMV on both Android and PC.. There are some pluses for the adventure game as I saw some CUTSCENES not present with the OLD EXE files. And it runs fine on Scummv

A MINUS was that the old SAV file would not work.. until I found I could rename the save to kyra3.001 etc which allowed DOS save to work… except it has BUGS! I will post them in the respective forum.

I would have moved to the SCUMMV an RPG game too but because I play such games on Android… SCUMMV does not offer the customizable UI layout you can do with Magic DosBox. So in this case (and considering the BUGS caused by adventure game and you dont wanna BUg a SAVE file that has reached far in the game), I guess Scumvv only needed to solve the adventure’s Sound problems

Al ex
    Keymaster

OMG, I’m sorry, I completey messed that one up. For some reason, I tested ROA 3 – Shadows over Riva. Too many things on my mind I guess, those two games aren’t even remotely related to each other. 🙈
    Yes, for point&click adventure games, ScummVM is better suited than Dosbox. Even though you can create much better custom control layouts in Magic Dosbox, there can be all sorts of hiccups during emulation (mouse, cd emulation, sound etc). And because ScummVM isn’t an emulator, it can much better circumvent these things.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.