Dungeon Keeper won't start

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Ryles1989
    Participant

Hi I’ve tried to follow your youtube video to install Dungeon keeper on my phone (galaxy s6)and when I go to play it,it says it has installed the cd and mounted the correct C directory on the dosbox screen,then the screen briefly goes blank and it comes up with C:\DKEEP1\DKEEP1\DATA> ,and stays on that screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Al ex
    Keymaster

Could be bad mountings or an install error. I’m assuming you’re using your own ISO file, created from your own physical copy of the game…? Because downloaded stuff is broken quite often, and causes a whole lot of issues. If you want to make sure: the GOG version of Dungeon Keeper Gold (5.59 €/$) is running fine. I’m running the DOS version, with Alt+R ingame to switch to SVGA resolution.

Are you using expert settings? If so, could you please post the whole contents of your config?
    If not, could you upload your Dungeon Keeper .mgc file somewher (Long press game icon -> Export, file is stored in /sdcard/MagicBox/Exports) and post the link here?

Ryles1989
    Participant

Hi thanks for the reply. As you might have guessed I’m quite new to this. So I downloaded the “gog” game and installed it on my laptop then copied these files to my phone and tried to run it via dos box. I’m not in expert mode so I’ve made the export file but I’m struggling to get the link on here, I’ve also got some screenshot that I can’t post. I apologise for ignorance.

Al ex
    Keymaster

OK. So, the GOG version has a litlle quirk. It comes completely preinstalled, and bundled with DOSBox. The problem is, that it’s installed to a virtual C root drive, and has issues with CD detection. It needs a “-t iso -fs iso” extension, and everything must be in the correct folder. DKeeper’s own config.cfg file can be edited, but at least in my case, this messed things up even more.

My workaround is to activate expert settings. Mind that I’ve set an MT32 ROM path and my own path settings under [autoexec], which you’ll need to adjust. Your S6 doesn’t have an external sd, so the basic mounting (storage/emulated/0/) should be correct. Simply copy & paste the following into your expert settings, overwriting everything that’s in there, adjust the mountings, and tick the check box “expert settings”:

[dos]
    machine=svga_s3
    memsize=64
    vmemsize=4

[render]
    frameskip=1
    aspect=false

[cpu]
    core=dynamic
    #valid cputypes (Ykhwong SVN):
    # a)auto
    # b)386
    # c)486
    # d)pentium
    # e)386_prefetch
    cputype=auto
    cycles=max

[mixer]
    androidFasterAudio=true
    blocksize=1024
    prebuffer=10
    rate=44100

[midi]
    mpu401=intelligent
    mididevice=mt32
    mt32.romdir=/storage/emulated/0/MagicBox/MT32ROM
    mt32.thread=on
    mt32.analog=0

[speaker]
    pcspeaker=true
    pcrate=11025
    tandy=off
    disney=false

[sblaster]
    sbtype=sb16
    sbmixer=true
    oplmode=auto
    oplemu=fast
    oplrate=22050

[ipx]
    ipx=false

[serial]
    serial1=disabled
    serial2=disabled
    serial3=disabled
    serial4=disabled

[dos]
    xms=true
    ems=true
    umb=true
    keyboardlayout=auto

[joystick]
    joysticktype=none

[autoexec]
    @Echo Off
    mount c: /storage/emulated/0/DOSGames/DKEEPER
    c:
    imgmount d /storage/emulated/0/DOSGames/DKEEPER/game.gog -t iso -fs iso
    keeper

Ryles1989
    Participant

Once again thank you for the reply and for bearing with me. I was just abit confused by this bit “Mind that I’ve set an MT32 ROM path and my own path settings under [autoexec], which you’ll need to adjust.”is that something I have to do separately or is that the copy and paste bit in expert settings?thankyou

Al ex
    Keymaster

Ah, sorry for the confusion. I’m using Roland MT32 midi, which requires MT32 ROM files, which I can’t post here for legal reasons.
    If your game is set up to use Soundblaster music, you don’t have to change anything, just ignore this. ?

Ryles1989
    Participant

OK so I check expert settings. GSM and copy and pasted the new stuff in,now when I go to open the game it says my c drive doesn’t exist I need to mount it first. Which mistake have I made now??

Al ex
    Keymaster

That’s because your mountings aren’t correct. In which folder have you stored the game on your sd card?
    For example: on my phone, it’s “DOSGames/DKeeper” on the internal sd card.
    Don’t worry, we’ll get this sorted out. ?

Ryles1989
    Participant

/storage/emulated/0/Dkeep1

Ryles1989
    Participant

Also I went back to default setting instead of expert and it seems to say it has mounted the file but still doesn’t open it. I appreciate your perseverance ?

admin
    Keymaster

Hello,

try first reupload dkeep folder to your device. Often may happen that data are broken during transfer from pc to android device. Their mtp protocol is crap. At the end of transfer (if you are on windows) press bottom right corner icon “safly remove device”. This forces system write unflushed files. If you disconnect device without it then some files may be broken. On ubuntu is something similar and on Mac I don’t know…

Ryles1989
    Participant

OK I will do this tonight.thankyou for all your help so far.i will let you know either way this evening.?

Al ex
    Keymaster
    Ryles1989
    Participant

I managed to find time to re download the game to my phone and it reads the same both on default and on expert settings.i downloaded the link you sent but it says nothing is there,the file is only 17kbs?thanks

admin
    Keymaster

In the past I saw that incorrect sound card can do various strange issues, try run dungeon keeper setup and set no sound for test.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.