Dosbox core v74 vs SVN4180

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Doomgiver
    Participant

Hello,

since the most recent update changed the appearence of the option whether to use SVN core or regular v74 Dosbox core, the question which currently is pondering me is:

What are advantages and disadvantages of the two different cores and when to use v74 and when to use SVN4180 core in general?

admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

Cores are same like before. Only labels are changed. Previously there was checkbox, now there is spinner menu. It is because in developer version I use additional cores which are not in official release, but they can be there in the future. I needed to handle more then 2 cores.

V74 core is the same like unchecked checkbox “svn” in previous version. It is based on desktop dosbox 0.74 with additional functions for win95 compatibility

V4180 is the same like checked “svn” checkbox. It is based on svn 4180, it includes save states support.

Doomgiver
    Participant

That is clear to me 🙂

What I’m currently struggling is what are the advantages and disadvantages of the two different cores and is there a recommendation when to use v74 and when to use SVN4180 core in general?

In the past I always played with “Use SVN core” checked and never bothered about the two different cores.

admin
    Keymaster

Yes, I prefer svn core for dos, because it supports save states. V74 for win95

Doomgiver
    Participant

Thank you, that helps me further 🙂

When speaking about save states: One thing I noticed in new version v85 is that the save/load state buttons in MagicDOSbox ingame menu are greyed out (and when clicking onto them a message is displayed that this requires SVN core). But I have enabled SVN core and in advanced settings window at the bottom it shows SVN 4180.

Is this a bug?
    (Another possible v85 bug could be what I posted here: https://magicbox.imejl.sk/forums/topic/battle-isle-2-no-files-found-on-disc-after-magicdosbox-v85-update/)

admin
    Keymaster

Oh, yes that’s bug. Just fixed it, thanks for report.

Can you send me email to magicbox@imejl.sk about that second bug?

Doomgiver
    Participant

Just sent you an eMail 🙂

nrjank
    Participant

@admin – just encountered the same bug where it’s not recognizing svn, so snapshots can’t be used. encouraging that you say you were able to fix it so quickly, but what’s the frequency of those being pushed to google play store?

nrjank
    Participant

to add, it took me quite a while to search around and remember where the svn core option was, then to see that it should be under individual game shorcut settings, then to realize it’s no longer the checkbox shown in other screenshots. didn’t find it under any of the help topics on the left. could the ‘this needs svn’ error message add something like ‘switched from 0.74 under game settings’ or something?

admin
    Keymaster

I fixed it and release was posted. You should get it soon. There was additional change in this version. All profiles defaults to v74 core. You must switch back to svn4180 in game profile manually.

neung
    Participant

v86 has been fixed save/load state buttons gray out on SVN core but I found new issue.
    I can save state but cannot load it back.
    There’s nothing happens when load state.

nrjank
    Participant

hmm… i don’t have that problem. Saving and loading state have worked fine for me since the svn button issue was solved.

neung
    Participant

I try to another device.
    I found that that problem on Android 10 device but works fine on Android 11 device.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.