diablo 2 bought from battlenet.com on magic dosbox

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Al ex
    Keymaster

The whole thing may be related tp the Win95 version. The one from RolandDeschain is Windows 95A (OSR 1.0). Higher versions might work better. I suggest you try get hold of a copy of a Windows 95C (OSR 2.5) build.

noquinny
    Participant

Hi all, have been following this thread and having my own issues getting it all up and running. Has anyone been able to make a workable Win95 2gb image? I can only get a 512 image working which means I cannot get D2 up and running. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Al ex
    Keymaster

You don’t really need more. I’d suggest you take an empty 2GB image, and mount it as secondary hard drive D:.
    This way, you can mount different 2GB images in different profiles, and basically install as many games in Win95 as you like. I’ve got 9 2GB images (LinksLS98, MM6 & Diablo, AoE1 & AoE2, Red Alert & Starcraft, Half-Life & Dungeon Keeper Gold, Thief & Commandos, System Shock 2 & Game Net Match, Alpha Centauri, Diablo 2). I’m keeping all these on my external sd, and mount the images as I need them.
    As a result, I have all these games on my Win95 desktop, but can only launch the one or two games that are stored on the currently mounted D: drive.

noquinny
    Participant

That’s great to know, thanks for you help. Just need to work on installing D2 and getting it to open the game. I’ll keep working on that. Thanks again.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Iirc, I didn”t even install Diablo 2 properly. It should be enough to copy all gane files to the 2GB inage on your PC (e.g. with UltraISO), then mount it in Dosboylx, and launch the exe. Seems the game doesn’t require any registry entries.

noquinny
    Participant

Awesome, thanks so much! I’ll give that a go. Really appreciate the help.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Np, you’re welcome.
    One question in return: how did you manage to get Win95 working properly? I do have a working image from years ago, but I can’t for the life of me remember how to set it up. I’m always getting a black screen unless I boot in Safe Mode, it’s somehow related to the com ports. And I can’t setup the SVGA drivers in Android.
    Is there a certain driver package I need?

noquinny
    Participant

Hope i can help!

I followed the magic dosbox tutorials using the latest version of Oracle VirtualBox and windows ocr 2.5.

As it wasn’t a bootable Disk I also used the windows 95b boot disk to start the process in virtual machine.

I had all the ports disabled as per the virtual machine tute.

Had initial issues with part 1 tutorial with initial install of win95.

Had no issues with the part 2 video. I downloaded the drivers as linked in these videos.

Then I was able to easily install Diablo 1 without issues.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Thanks, I’ll give it a shot! ?

xaxa
    Participant

hi noquinny

[Edit: removed file share request]

Al ex
    Keymaster

@xaxa please don’t ask for illegal file sharing on the forum. I know it’s rather ridiculous, it’s an ancient OS, and MS is unlikely to punish a single old-school user. But technically, it’s still piracy, so it can’t be tolerated here. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’m still trying to figure out a way to install it, I don’t know why it was working years ago, and now it isn’t. But it’s probably some simple thing I’m overlooking.

I’ll try again, following these two tutorials:

noquinny
    Participant

Hi, sorry for the delayed response. The key to making the win95 image work for me was using the 512mb virtual hard drive. I tried bigger images but none of them worked. The tutorials worked perfectly. Again the problem I had was that the win 95 image wasn’t bootable so I had to find a windows 95 bootdisk. Hope you have some success!

admin
    Keymaster

Hi people, next week I can find a bit more free time and I can look at this. Is important set initial setup correctly in virtual box else it might affect whole process. Probably some things were changed in VBox. And maybe we can try limbo as well, then we can use android device for whole process.

xaxa
    Participant

hi everybody

i’m sorry, I didn’t think to do anything wrong, because on the forum I saw links to pages that contain windows 95 images downloads

anyway, I tried to follow the guide, but I get stuck at the first step.
    this error appears to me:

http://www.hosting.universalsite.org/share-error-E3A4_5B39F560.html

noquinny
    Participant

Hey, not sure if it helps but i had to install ms dos 6.22 via floppy disk first. Then stop virtual machine and use Windows 95b boot disk via floppy. And use Windows 95 osr 2.5 image. All the best!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.