Finding out the manual mouse correction values

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nosebeggar
    Participant

Hi all,

I just bought Magic DosBox and I am very impressed by it’s general capabilities. Especially fixing the absolute mouse by offsetting the values in manual correction is awesome. How do I go about finding out the correct values if they are not known as with Dungeon Keeper 1 or Might and Magic?

Currently I am trying to get Battle Bugs to work, which would really be a perfect fit. The regular resolution, according to the internet, was 640×480, which as I understand is the value MagicDosBox’s absolute mouse defaults to. However the mouse does not work very well in absolute mode. I have seen it work perfectly in a few other games so I am sure this can be done.

How do I find out the correct values?
    I have already read this but I can’t make much sense of it for my specific scenario.

Advanced settings

Al ex
    Keymaster

Hey, welcome! ??

Finding the correct values can be a pita, it’s basically trial & error. Some DOS games even have such weird mouse implementation that it’s impossible to get it working correctly (Worms, for example).

You can take a look at this list here, to see if someone else has already found proper values.

Nosebeggar
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply!

That is a shame. However Battle Bugs plays really well with relative mouse as well. I just tried it. Simply adding a mouse click button makes it a blast to play. Absolute mouse is always best, but in this case it’s fine.

Was just curious what the process is for people to find the correct values.

I have tried plenty of trial and error. But I somehow cannot figure out if I am going the write direction value-wise. Can anyone explain that?

Al ex
    Keymaster

Game resolution is usually a good starting point. You can adjust the values by opening the ingame menu, then go to Advanced settings -> manual correction. Make sure to check the “Enabled” checkbox, then start experimenting. For some games, you can also try the different “Correction type” options, and/or “Block mouse move”.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Oh wait, I just tried the demo, and it’s working. All you need to do is set manual correction to 640×240. The mouse gets off while dragging though, so you’ll need to place a “Special” widget somewhere on the screen, and configure it as “Mouse reset”. As I said, some DOS devs did really weird things with mouse implementation. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.