Windows 95 CPU Type

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Caweda
    Participant

Hello there devs and admins. I’ve been using Magic Dosbox (The paid version) for a year now and I wondered if I can play Heroes of Might and Magic 3 with it so I can play it anywhere with my phone. I also have the physical disk and I followed your tutorial on youtube. The only problem that I’m having is that the game run slow as heck (even slower than grass growing). When I’m installing the game in Windows 95 it showed me the requirements that I needed to run the game. It shows that I passed everything except that my CPU type is intel pentium 70 mhz and the game requires a pentium 133 mhz. I ignored it and installed the game anyway and that how I came here. Is there anyway to change the CPU type on win95. I’ve tried messing with the conf. and GUI seeting but it still doesn’t change. Can I change it and how ? Also I have a Pocophone with stock android with it so I think my phone is not the problem.
    Pls help

Al ex
    Keymaster

Hi, can you elaborate a bit more on your phone specs, i.e. exact phone model, and cpu type?
    Win95 emulation is very demanding, so there might indeed be a cpu bottleneck here. In general, you should try to set core=dynamic, and cycles=max 105%. You can run the benchmark over in the benchmark section, to get a general idea of how fast your phone is in comparison to others.

Caweda
    Participant

I have a Xiaomi Pocophone F1. It has a Snapdragon 845 and also an octa-core. Its has 6GB of RAM and 64GB ROM. I installed and ran the benchmark test 3 time and the lowest realtick I got is around 650. I changed the OS from MIUI to stock android 10 via the XDA forum’s instructions. I changed it because MIUI has a bunch of restrictions. I tried running exagear on my phone to play HOMM3 and it runs wonderfully without any slow ups but I won’t be using it because of it’s obscure touch setup(and the app is abandoned). I tried your advice but still nothing has changed, the cpu that shows in windows 95 is still intel petium 70 mhz which is way low to what I need. I just really need to change the CPU I think but how? I hope you can help me

Al ex
    Keymaster

Well, your phone should definitely be fast enough. You could also try fixed cycles, like e.g. cycles=80000, but that will probably cause slowdowns and/sound issues at least on some occasions.
    Here’s what I’m using to run Commandos and Diablo 2 on my phone, maybe these settings can help?

[dosbox]
    machine=svga_s3
    memsize=32
    vmemsize=8

[render]
    frameskip=1

[cpu]
    # valid core are: normal, simple, full, auto, dynamic
    # dynamic is the fastest and optimized for the ARM processor + works with Win9x
    core=dynamic
    # new paging methods from MB6 & Ykhwong SVN introduce new cputype settings:
    # valid cputypes are: 386, 486, 386_prefetch (*), 486_prefetch (*), pentium, pentium_mmx
    # (*) = requires normal core setting instead of dynamic
    #cputype=486_slow
    cputype=pentium_slow

cycles=max 105%
    cycleup=500
    cycledown=500
    isapnpbios=true

[sblaster]
    sbtype=sb16
    mixer=false
    oplmode=auto
    oplemu=fast
    oplrate=22050

[mixer]
    rate=22050
    blocksize=512
    prebuffer=0

[dos]
    xms=true
    ems=false
    umb=true
    keyboardlayout=auto

[ipx]
    ipx=false

[joystick]
    joysticktype=none
    timed=false

[midi]
    # Only enable MIDI if you have the necessary MT32 ROM files
    mpu401=none
    mididevice=none

[speaker]
    pcspeaker=false
    tandyrate=8000
    tandy=false
    pcrate=8000
    disney=false

[gus]
    gus=false

Caweda
    Participant

Wow it works, kinda, I copied your configuration and tried it myself and it run much better except for the cinematics but it doesn’t bother me I’m only in for the game. Also I made the windows img file 2GB so I can install the game in there instead of using a different drive and I thinks it runs better there because it doesn’t need to read the other drive I think(I modified the game so it doesn’t need any CD). I’m gonna do this also my other games if this really do the work but for now thanks for helping me. I love your app and the works all of you done to it. Keep improving and seeya next time.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Glad to hear it’s working! 🙂👍
    Cinematics can be a pain in the butt. They usually work fine with fixed cycle settings, but somehow mess up the automatic cycles max detection. You could still try to set cycles manually to 60000 / 80000 / 100000, and see how high you can go.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.