Win 95 c: storage?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Netvudu
    Participant

The game I want to try to install in win95 needs about 800 megs of HD. I´m guessing it´s no problem creating a much bigger HD than the one explained in the youtube video?

EDIT: I read some alternative consisting on creating smaller 512 megs C drives and virtual D drives with the selected image for the game. I´m not too clear on how to do this. Anybody care giving some details?

Al ex
    Keymaster

You can use these images: http://www.mediafire.com/file/zpo4x975poe7co6/HDD_Images.zip
    Make sure to use the correct settings for the different image sizes (in the included txt file).

I have Win95 installed on a 512 MB image, and I’m using alternating 2 GB images to install games. This way, you can mount different images in different game profiles, and have effectively as many games installed as you want.

Netvudu
    Participant

Thanks a lot. I´m still not very sure of how this works but it´s probably because I still haven´t gone through the whole process (still have to copy my win95 image to my tablet to test and go from there).

Al ex
    Keymaster

It works just as it does on the PC version of Dosbox. You need to activate Expert settings, chose the correct core settings and set the proper mounting commands (the “extSdCard” path below is an old setting, Samsung changed it to weird number codes in Marshmallow), and that’s about it:

[cpu]
    cputype=pentium_slow
    cycles=auto max 110%
    cycleup=500
    cycledown=500
    isapnpbios=true

[autoexec]
    @Echo Off
    imgmount c /storage/extSdCard/Games/PC/Win95/c.img -t hdd -fs fat -size 512,63,16,520
    imgmount d /storage/extSdCard/Games/PC/Win95/hdd-2gb.img -t hdd -fs fat -size 512,63,64,1023
    boot -l c

Ooooh 110%? epic! Have to give that a try .

Al ex
    Keymaster

You can go up to 120% since the last version. Might cause sound issues in some ganes, but it’s worth a try. 🙂

Larrynho
    Participant

Q:

I got this for 120%

cputype=pentium_mmx
    cycles=max 120%
    cycleup=500
    cycledown=500
    isapnpbios=true

Is it correct? (Using it for win 95/98 and diablo 2)

Is there any way to activate it from the gui not using advanced settings??

Al ex
    Keymaster

Looks good. ?

It’s only accessible via expert settings, because it’s a highly experimental tweak, that can cause nasty sound issues. That’s precisely what expert settings are for.

Btw, if you set even higher values, they’ll be ignored, and cycles=max will be used.

Larrynho
    Participant

Thanks !

It seems to me that FMV are choppy with 120% while everything else works ok… and it provides a noticeable boost in speed and device temp 😛

Al ex
    Keymaster

and device temp

Lol, yeah. Be thankful you’re not on a Snapdragon S7, it would either melt or explode. 😉

Netvudu
    Participant

Thanks again Alex. I did the whole process and now I have a good understanding on how the images work.
    I got everything pretty much working, but the game resists. It´s asking for a Ws2_32.dll. I´m afraid there´s some component on Windows I don´t have/disabled that the game wants.

Larrynho
    Participant

May I ask what game are you tryng to run?

Ive fought some already and got em to work (pharaon, starcraft, diablo 2… )

From internet about that dll:

-There is an official Window 95 update – “Winsock 2 for windows 95” – which can be got.

Adding ws2_32.dll on its own will not work. Additionally, you should source any executable file (including DLLs) from a trusted source.

Note: in my experience… adding standalone dlls only result in the apps asking for new ones and in the end… just not working. You need to update properly the os/directx/etc

Netvudu
    Participant

Thanks for the interest. It´s a submarine sim called “SubCommand” (http://www.sonalystscombatsimulations.com/sub_command/index.html)

I knew about the dll. The problem is that to install Winsock2 (which I found) I need to add a TCP/IP protocol. Which I did.
    But just after doing so, Win95 starts asking a password on startup, and at the password screen, none of Magic DOSBOX controls work at all. Can´t move the pointer, can´t write the name. The sad part is that if I could just write the name once without a password, then I wouldn´t get that screen ever again.

Netvudu
    Participant

Just as a follow-up, yesterday I was able to run SubCommand.
    First, I had to install the TCP/IP protocol before saving the image from Windows, so that I can bypass the password screen from the computer since it´s not possible to do it in DOSBOX.
    Then, already inside the Magic Dosbox win emulation, it was necessary to use the Internet link on the desktop which installs some files from the Windows CD.
    That makes Winsock2 aware of the TCP/IP and it installs the necessary dll files.
    And then you can run the game…

…and it crawls really slowly here,…heh. SO, it works but too slow. Well, you can´t win them all I guess.
    Kinda makes sense, considering it´s a game from 2001 which asks for 96 megs of RAM, so not really on the lower side of specs.

PS: If anyone knows how to accelerate this without burning my tablet, I´m interested

Larrynho
    Participant

Good work!

Cant really tell aside oc’eing ur soc or getting MDB to 120% cycles…and both heat up a lot.

I’ve been trying some 3d games on windows and I guess nowadays devices just arent powerful enough.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.