Steam deck magic dosbox?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ManfredVonRicthofen
    Participant

Any plans for making magic dosbox on steam deck?

admin
    Keymaster

Magic dosbox is android based. It cant run natively on steam deck. However, steam deck can run windows. And windows 11 can run android applications. I did not try it, but people run it, I receive reports and reviews from this system

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-get-started-android-apps-windows-11

Al ex
    Keymaster

Magic Dosbox on Steam Deck? Neat idea, I would love to see that. 😉
    But the way I understand it, it’s next to impossible to have the same kind of overlay control scheme in Windows, let alone in SD’s Linux environment.
    I haven’t used Dosbox at all on my my Deck so far, but I guess you could create some very cool layouts with the built-in controller config tool. And maybe it’s possible to add single DOS games as non-Steam game to the library via Steam ROM Manager, so your can bind individual controller layouts to them?

ManfredVonRicthofen
    Participant

The idea of running windows which isn’t perfect on steam yet, and then Android apps inside of it, seems like it’ll take a performance hit when running MDB… Was hoping maybe there’s a full fledged plan of having a steam deck version since it’s a popular device.

Lookong for the most performance capable way of running dos games on steam deck, MDB is great on my phone so figured maybe there was a plan of porting it over to Steam

admin
    Keymaster

No, no, everyone I know installed windows on it, they have dual boot. However, android needs win11 and people installed win10. Android runs in virtualization and this is fast, translation is on cpu level. But yes it eats resources. So, I dont know how it will work, I did not test it, I believe fine. People run Magic Dosbox on Win11, as I wrote above, I receive reports from this OS.

Porting it to PC is a lot of work. And there are regular dosbox versions for PC which works fine.

Maybe Alex can say more about this dual boot.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Dual boot is a pain in the ass, tbh. You either split your SSD, sacrificing precious storage, or you install it to an SD card, which is plain terrible performance-wise.
    I’ve stopped using Windows completely, because SteamOS just runs everything fine, including ReShade along with my games.

admin
    Keymaster

So my information is out dated:)

Al ex
    Keymaster

There was a tool called Gestureworks Gameplay on Steam, which did kind of the same as Magic Dosbox (custom touchscreen controls), albeit much less sophisticated. It’s been discontinued though, and I don’t know if it’s still available at all.
    I used it to play Oblivion on a Windows tablet some 10 years ago, but it was very buggy, with Windows randomly blocking inputs and hiding the overlay. That’s probably part of the reason why it’s so difficult to port Magic Dosbox over to Windows (?), as it’s a much more unpredictable and finicky OS.

admin
    Keymaster

I think it is my fault. I made development easier and I used android libraries in many corners of mdosbox. And this must be replaced, the amount of work may be not worth it. Google made perfect libraries which significantly accelerated development and I could focus on what I wanted. If I should program all stuff at my own then I don’t know. Like my dungeon mapping tool 🙂 I do all from scratch and after 4 years it is not finished.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.