Some Keys (ß,ü,ö,ö) not available

Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    LOS-Admin
    Participant

Hello, I want to run an old write learning program on a new acer chromebook 314 with german Keyboard Layout. Its running well, but I cannot use the Keys ß,ü,ö,ä. I tried to change the keabordlayout from “auto” to “gr” in the config file. The Problem is still there. Is there any idea?

admin
    Keymaster
    LOS-Admin
    Participant

When I make the change manually in the expert mode, I get all my keys. Thank you.
    But when I use the config file and change from Keybordlayout=auto to Keyboardlayout=gr, there is no effect.

Al ex
    Keymaster

I’m a bit confused. 😇 Which config file do you mean? Expert settings are the equivalent to the dosbox.conf file, and any changes made there should override all other settings. No other config is needed in that case.

LOS-Admin
    Participant

Ok., now I realized the setup button at the bottom of the Konfiguration window. Now I am able to store my changes in the config file.
    But when I load the the german layout (keyb gr), the result is, that I have my Keys for ü,ö,ä, but the Keys “Z” and “Y” are crossed and I have still no “ß”.
    When I load the keyb us, the Keys “Z” and “Y” are on the korrect Place of my German Keyboard (where it shoud be crossed) and I have no “ü”,”ä”,”ö”.

Al ex
    Keymaster

That’s most likely an Android and/or Chromebook issue. The “Y” and “Z” characters will be swapped correctly in Dosbox (“Y” on the virtual keyboard will enter a “Z” character), but obviously, the swapping doesn’t translate well to your Chromebook’s keyboard.

You can remap these keys with Magic Dosbox’s built-in mapper tool though.
    1. First, use Magic Dosbox’s onscreen keyboard to identify which key responds to which special character (for example “[” will type “ü”). Write these down somewhere.
    2. Next, open Voodoo Control in Magic Dosbox. Tick the “Enabled” box below the “Mapper” heading.
    3. Now comes the fun part. Tap “Gamepad Buttons” under “Joystick” (even though you’re not using a gamepad). Press the “+” icon.
    4. Now, press the “ü” key on your Chromebook’s keyboard. In my case, it registers as a second “u” character (don’t ask me why ¯\_(ツ)_/¯).
    5. Tap the “none” button to configure it, then “Key”, and select the “[” key from the list.
    6. Confirm two times to get back to Dosbox.

Repeat that for every key that needs remapping. I’ve also recorded a little video of the mapping process: https://www.mediafire.com/file/20d5uup9vy929hg/MagicDosbox_key_remapping.mp4/file

LOS-Admin
    Participant

Thank you for the perfect support. Is there a possibility to make the mapping permanent?.
    When I close and restart the app, the mapping is vanished.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Yep, that’s possible. Just save your profile with the save icon in the left bottom corner of the edit menu before you quit.

admin
    Keymaster

And if you have enough time then you can make your own virtual keyboard using layouts:)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.