SM-N910P Galaxy note 4, windows freezes, dos works fine.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jeff213
    Participant

I have been using dos emulators on android for 4 years now. I started with AnDosBox, switched to dosbox turbo, and switched again to magic dosbox.

I have been unable to get the win 32 emulation working on my galaxy note 4. The system will load windows, I can even start fallout, but no matter what I change in the settings, windows will freeze up after a few minutes. Does anyone have any ideas? These freezes happen with both dosbox turbo and magic dosbox.

I recently switched from stock note 4 to a custom rom/kernel and still have the exact same issue. Is there some hardware incompatibility with my phone?

I can load up windows 3.11 and play games well, it hardly ever crashes.

admin
    Keymaster

Hello,

I am sorry for late answer. Hard to say what could be wrong. Dosbox supports win9.x unofficialy. But I personally dont have problems with win95 and I play various games. Problem may be in drivers, magic dosbox has not implemented ethernet or voodoo card support. I recommend to follow video guide on our youtube channel and install fresh win95 based on this guide. 1.5 year ago I installed win95 this way and until now I use it on tablet with mDosbox without big issues.

The video guide has three parts.

Best regards,
    Tony

Al ex
    Keymaster

I’ve got a Note 4 N910F, which is pretty much the same phone as yours, with the same chipset/cpu.
    I have no troubles at all running Win95. But it’s a custom Win95 installation. I remember having incredibly annoying freezing and crashing issues with the Win95 & Win98lite installations from Roland Deschain’s xda site. Are you by any chance using one of these versions? If so, then they are to blame. Try a clean Win95 install from a Win95 CD, that should work.

Jeff213
    Participant

Thanks, I will try a custom install.

Jeff213
    Participant

I tried a custom install following the direictions, I am getting the same freezes. I cannot get on windows after I have transfered the IMG to the phone. I get it to start loading win 95 then it freezes completely. Windows will then start in safe mode, but when i exit safemode and try to start normally it freezes again. Can you share your IMG and dosbox.conf files for your galaxy note 4 install? Email me at j e f f s C a n t l i n g @ g m a i l . c o m (no spaces)

admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

you said it starts in safe mode, but normal startup freezes. Does it means you can’t get to desktop?
    Probably you face this issue : (see second video at 2:13)

Does it help?

Tony

Al ex
    Keymaster

Try this config file.

– check the mountings. They all point to my own DOS Games directory still.
    – remove the imgmount a[…] line. It’s only in there because I’m using a floppy image to store backups of my Win95 savegames, in case the hdd image gets corrupted. I’m a bit paranoid there.?

This setup runs fine for me. Of course, Win95 itself is a crash-prone POS, but it’s runnimg much better in MagicDosbox than it did on my real PC 20 years ago.?

Oh, and for optimal performance (assuming you’re rooted), set governor=performance.
    Sadly, our Snapdragon cpu is quite sluggish when it comes to DOS emulation, but this helps a bit. Even my old Exynos Note 2 was faster…?

Jeff213
    Participant

Thank you, I got it to boot without the video driver now using your config file, I am getting sleepy though I will try to go farther tomorrow.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Look here.

These images are heavily modified, a bit crash-prone, and the desktops are ugly, but you can reset most to default, and they should work out of the box. I’d suggest Version 3 (Windows 95), because it works best. If you need Win98, download Version 2 (with ISO support); if it’s too unstable, simply don’t run Daemon Tools after boot, so no need for the further stripped down Version 1.

Wlad
    Participant

I had the same problem on the Galaxy S9+

I needed to add the following line

[sblaster]
    sbtype=none

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.