Mouse and Joystick

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Phil
    Participant

I am something of a newbie and don’t yet understand fully how to configure/use the mouse and joystick (Master of Puppets).
    Some games obviously need these to work well.
    I do have Doom and the posted .mgc file, which uses the Joystick, so I can see how that operates, which will help me to understand its configuration.
    Can anyone recommend a game which uses the Mouse and perhaps a .mgc file for this so that I can try to see how that works
    I guess that YouTube Tutorials specifically on Mouse and Joystick use would be useful for newbies like myself

P.S. Just downloaded Simcity, which seemed to need mouse control, and found I could move cursor around with my finger on the screen WITHOUT using either of the 2 Mouse widgets – very surprised ! Presumably this means that mouse emulation is naturally built in to the program. So not quite sure that I would use the Mouse widgets for.
    Any helpful comments would be appreciated.

Phil

Al ex
    Keymaster

Yep, mouse support is built-in. By default it uses relative mouse (sort of laptop touchpad emulation). The alternative, which I always prefer, is absolute mouse (back button -> General settings -> Mouse), which makes the mouse behave like it should on a touch device – click where you tap. Mind that absolute mouse can be off in some games/Windows95. That’s not a MagicDosbox bug, but an issue with the games.

The mouse widget is used to emulate mouse clicks with either left, right or middle button, but you hardly ever need it. Use the Gesture option (back button -> General settings -> Gestures) to select how the mouse should behave. By default, tapping the screen will work as left mouse click. In the Gestures section, you can activate Double tap, Two point tap (tap screen with a second finger) and Longpress (keep finger on screen for a defined amount of ms), and configure each gesture to issue a specific mouse click (left, right, middle).

You can download my Ultima 7 profile from the .mgc section:
    – tap screen = left click
    – tap & hold = hold left mouse (for dragging items around)
    – tap & hold, then tap with a second finger (Two point tap) = click & hold right button (move party)
    mind: I’ve configured the Two point tap to “Keep the mouse button down”, so you can lift the second finger after tapping, just make soure to keep the first finger down to move around.

Sounds a bit confusing, but it’s actually quite easy to understand when you try it.

Why didn’t I simply configure long press as right mouse button? For some games, the Long press method is indeed easier and more intuitive, but in Ultima 7, I wanted the Long press configured as default (hold left mouse button) for picking up / dragging items around.
    As an alternative, I could’ve configure Long press as right mouse button, and Two point as left mouse button with “keep mouse button down” to achieve the same.

You see, it’s all highly configurable. A bit complicated, but you can be sure you won’t find better controls anywhere, because you can create and tweak your very own controls, so they fit with your individual needs.

Cheers,
    Alex

Phil
    Participant

Thanks very much. i’ll try all that shortly when I have some time to play.
    The emulator gets better and better the more I learn about it and I am extolling its virtues to all my friends.

Thanks again.

Phil

admin
    Keymaster

Hi Phil,

>I guess that YouTube Tutorials specifically on Mouse and Joystick use would be useful for newbies like myself

Yes, good idea. Long time I want make video tutorial “How to deal with right mouse click”. I think it could help to many people. Well, version 36 will be released soon and then I’ll find time.

btw : Gestures were mostly Alex’s idea 😉

(I moved this post to this forum)

Best regards,
    Tony

Enslaved
    Participant

Hi,

Any plans to support native gamepads or joysticks?

Mapping keyboard keys to a gamepads buttons or d-pad is, unfortunately, a bit laggy and especially when it comes
    to fast running, walking, skatin direction changes its unprecise ://

Edit: dunno if its possible to port into magic dosbox but on dosbox 0.74 on my pc, the gamepads are working great.
    They get automatically recognized and im able to configure them inside a game.

admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

yeah, ‘ll work on gamepad and support for native dosbox gamepads. But I am still fixing user interface and issues around it – like system independent keyboard. Various keyboards could not work correctly, our own keyboard will solve that;)

Best regards,
    Tony

Enslaved
    Participant

Nice!

Hope it’ll come soon.. i NEED to play NHL 😉

admin
    Keymaster

Yeah, I believe yes. Today arrived DOOM 3 BFG for PS3. This contains all official doom versions, so I have game for comparison;)

Enslaved
    Participant

Super 🙂 can’t for it hehe

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.