Running DOS games in original 4:3 aspect ratio

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    dharmos
    Participant

I am looking for the aspect ratio correction in Magic Dosbox, as there is in the desktop versions of Dosbox. I use an ARM chromebook with a 1280×800 screen and would like to run my old games without the stretch factor of a widescreen. Where is the “aspect ratio = true” hidden away in Magic Dosbox?

Or does it not exist at present?

Many thanks,

admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

The original aspect ratio is set by the default. “Aspect=true” fixes double width/height aspect for some games. Which game do you try?

dharmos
    Participant

Raptor: Call of the Shadows 1994 is stretched oblique on the 16:9 widescreen of the Chromebook C101PA.
    (https://www.asus.com/uk/laptops/for-home/chromebook/asus-chromebook-flip-c101/). So are Populous 1 and 2. I run both in 4:3 on a Win PC under DOSBox-X so am aware what they should look like.

Not sure if this is a ChromeOS Android issue.

admin
    Keymaster

Try new profile and setup game in gui. Not in expert settings. Problem still persists?

dharmos
    Participant

Yes, the problem does persist. I don’t know if this is a Chromebook only issue. However I got round the problem under “Adjust Sceen” by using Aspect Mode: Custom, specifying different zooms for Height (100%) and Width (83% – see below for reason why).

1280×800 = 16:10
    4:3 desired resolution

(4/3)/(16/10)=0.83333333
    The circles are true circles and not ovals. It would be ideal if a future Magic DOSBox update included a 4:3 auto-adjust for widescreen monitors (happy to play with L + R bars).

admin
    Keymaster

Can you please post the screenshot, i must see it. The default adjust calculates coeficient between game’s original width and height. Then it takes lesser screen side (width or height, in landscape it is height). Original height is stretched to screen height and width is calculated based on coeficient. This way is preserved original aspect ratio. Some games are broken and need “aspect=true”, but settlers 2 surely not. Is this issue on both cores? V74 and svn?

dharmos
    Participant

I have taken screenshots from Raptor and Populous 1. What is the best way to attach these screenshots, as there is no attachments link in the forum? Direct email?

admin
    Keymaster

Yes, you can send it to my email or use imgur link.

Edit: I enabled image attachments, see function below the post. It downscales image to max 768×768. It should be enough. However, if it will be abused by spammers then it will gone.

dharmos
    Participant

Hi,
    please see attached 9 screenshot files in the zip archive. The behaviour is identical in the v74 and SVN cores.

admin
    Keymaster

Hm, all right I will check it. Only for sure – you did not copy/paste dosbox-x config into expert settings, right?

dharmos
    Participant

No, I did not (actually don’t know how to do that). I also deleted any .conf files from the game directory.

admin
    Keymaster

Allright, I will check and let you know.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.