Performance increase?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Al ex
    Keymaster

Same issue nonwtheless. If it was fine before, it’s got to be aggressive throttling introduced with the latest update.
    You shoukd try Game Launcher, and see if you can improve performance.

ManfredVonRicthofen
    Participant

Been using game launcher since day 1, the performance setting still doesn’t help

Al ex
    Keymaster

Dang, that’s annoying. What happens if you set high fixed cycles? Like e.g. cycles=75000, cycles=100000, or cycles=125000?
    If set high enough, Dosbox should pull enough cpu resources to stay on the performance cores, and prevent throttling.

ManfredVonRicthofen
    Participant

What is the max? I set it on 400000 once and it actually slowed down and sound was cracking.

Svn core or normal mode?

Al ex
    Keymaster

400000 is way too much. Slowdown and sound crackling is what you get when you push cycle settings beyond yout cpu limit.
    On my S9+ (Exynos), I can go up to ~100000-135000, depending on the game.

ManfredVonRicthofen
    Participant

Gotcha. So in performance set it for cycles:custom and start around 100k, go up in increments with sound up so I can hear it start to crack, and adjust just below cracking to prevent it. That should be the max right? Will this setting work for all games since it’s the cpu/phone’s absolute limit or will every game have its own max cycle?

Al ex
    Keymaster

It really depends on the game, and what’s happening on screen. I can run Doom at 135000 cycles, but that doesn’t work at all in Wing Commander 4, for example. Video playback is especially taxing, for whatever reason. ?‍♂️

You’ll have to try it out for yourself. Back on the OT though: Tie Fighter should run perfectly fine with cycles=15000, have you tried that yet?

ManfredVonRicthofen
    Participant

Is it better to set the cycles by using cycles:custom in the config and changing it on the fly in game or better to use expert settings?

Al ex
    Keymaster

Doesn’t really matter. For the Dosbox app, it’s all the same in the end.

ManfredVonRicthofen
    Participant

I’ve run into an issue now where the entire game is running very choppy. It may have something to do with me messing with the cycles settings. I have decided to delete the entire app and reinstall, and was hoping to start fresh, but for whatever the reason magic dosbox shows the icons of the old games I had installed on previous days installation of Magix dosbox. This leads me to believe that there is another folder that’s hidden somewhere that kept the settings backed up even after uninstall.

Can you guys tell me where the locations of these folders are? I want to completely eliminate all traces of magic dosbox then fresh install a new copy to troubleshoot.

ManfredVonRicthofen
    Participant

Hey guys I used a cpu monitoring app while playing, and saw that all 8 cores of my phone’s cpu are maxed at 100 percent, temperature is well below the throttling temp at 45c,and memory is at 70% use… Could this explain the poor performance? The cpus are maxed out and reached the limits of emulation? Since memory isn’t maxed out, I don’t think that’s the bottleneck

Al ex
    Keymaster

The monitoring app must be returnimg faulty values. If all cores were maxed out, cpu temp would be much higher.
    45°C is only slightly above idle temp. I wonder what that Androdi update did to your phone. ?

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.