Output settings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    atarumoroboshi18
    Participant

Hello, my name is atarumoroboshi18 and I’ve been looking for a really good DOSBox emulator for Android and yours works far better than the others and is much easier to use. I have an Nvidia Shield Portable and have used DOSBox Turbo quite a bit. Just wanted to recommend a feature that could enhance performance for Magic DOSBox as it genuinely smoothed out performance in DOSBox Turbo.

Please add a setting to change the “Output” for DOSBox. I’ve found that by switching Output to OpenGL in DOSBox Turbo, games suddenly become smoother and faster. It’s very simple, just add “output=opengl” to a game’s DOSBox config. Give this a try and change the Output setting to OpenGL for a few games and see if it changes the performance.

admin
    Keymaster

Hi, thank you for a hint. I appreciate any king of help. Currently magic dosbox uses output=surface, but only for receiving raw data. Result is then rendered with OpenglES. I will check sources if there is any difference in basic data creation.

thank you very much for hint
    Tony

atarumoroboshi18
    Participant

Wonderful! Ever since I made this discovery when using DOSBox Turbo, games that used to be slow or sluggish suddenly got smooth and fast, almost as if I was playing them on a PC. I’m pretty much going to leave DOSBox Turbo behind, as the creator of the app doesn’t seem to actually make any meaningful updates or changes anymore and the interface is terrible in comparison to yours.

admin
    Keymaster

thank you very much. Please what device you have? Can you check which library type was loaded? You can check it on left bottom corner in Advances settings (when you run game). And which game do you start?

atarumoroboshi18
    Participant

Ah, the device I use is an Nvidia Shield Portable. The library is “ARM-V7 lib”. Any game that you can get up and running should work for this. I would recommend a simple to setup game such as Blood or Duke Nukem 3D.

admin
    Keymaster

Thank you. This is great device and is chosen correct library (bad library means speed problems).

btw : new patch will introduce updated Master of Puppets which will be much faster and precise. I am playing Duke just now with it. Great game 😉 (In version 25 will be master of puppets updated again. Will be added one nice new feature)

atarumoroboshi18
    Participant

Sounds good, I’m also looking forward to the L2 and R2 being mappable in the next update as well. The more buttons that can be mapped the better!

Also, how about creating a feature for Expert Mode that allows us to switch between “Default”, “User Created”, and “MagicDOSBox Created” DOSBox configs? This way we can have the default DOSBox when needed, then switch to our own created DOSBox configs, and then to the MagicDOSBox config to see what the program is doing?

admin
    Keymaster

Hmm, multiple dosbox configs is interesting idea. Currently you can duplicate game profile and test differences this way. I will think about this.

atarumoroboshi18
    Participant

Great, can’t wait to see where you go with Magic DOSBox. I’ve been able to setup and play games in about a couple of minutes with Magic DOSBox as compared to the other DOSBox emulators out there and you can save everything that you’ve done as well.

Another thing that you could think about might be the saving and loading of Key/Mouse presses for games. I’ve come up with a pretty solid and simple method of setting up my physical controls for each game on my Nvidia Shield Portable, but setting them up again and again can get a little tiresome. Creating a few different custom/user-made controls schemes that we can switch between on the fly would help quite a bit. Just my two cents.

Anyway, keep up the great work, can’t wait to see what comes up next for Magic DOSBox!

admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

thank you,

do you mean to copy mapper settings to another game? Currently can be done with profile duplication which is not very suitable if you have already styled game.

Second, better way is copy mapper.xml from first game to second manually.

I will add something like “clipboard” (or something similar) in one update. This allows to copy widgets between layouts. The same I can do for mapper. I want add this feature to version 25-28. Depends on other things.

Probably today will go out version 23. Version 24 is done, but is strongly tested, because there were many core changes. Was added longpress and double tap, also keyboard and mouse handling was rewritten too. There are big background changes.

atarumoroboshi18
    Participant

Great, I’ll let you get to it! Sounds like it’s going to get even better! You’ve definitely got a fan here!

admin
    Keymaster

Thank you. Please did not you experience any slowdown in last update? (23)

atarumoroboshi18
    Participant

I’ve tried a few different games such as Daggerfall, Blood, Duke Nukem 3D, and The Last Express. They are working rather well with not very much slowdown, but I have only played them each for a short time, so I would need to play them a bit more to give you an accurate description of their performance. Any game in mind I should test out?

admin
    Keymaster

No, its not necessary. I only want to know if there is slowdown against previous version. I personally did not find any difference, but one guy reports slowdown.

thank you

atarumoroboshi18
    Participant

Just so you know, my Nvidia Shield Portable has been rooted and is using the SetCPU app to make the CPU run at a faster rate, so my Portable is a bit faster than a stock one. That said, a number of games I’ve used have been working quite well and I haven’t had many issues with slowdown.

Also, I’ve been looking at the new version 24 that you were asking if people wanted to test with new keypresses and the like. Would love to give that a try if you’re willing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.