Older Magic DOSBox (paid) Versions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Bogdan_Gordin
    Participant

Greetings Mr. Bruenor,

First off I want to say that the app is absolute wonderful, and what a great job you’re doing! With the apps constant improvements and tutorials… Everything is just awesome! In fact I am writing a publication (still an early draft) that I’ll post later for Reddit’s r/dosgaming community, it’s called “Guide: Setup, Installing and Running MS-DOS/Windows 95 Programs on Andriod with Magic DOSBox”.

But a concern has risen… Currently I am writing about what of the users that have older Android versions, for example say 2.3.5. Simple, Just download the .apk version 1.0.57! I found Numerous websites that provide a download for that version, but as a PAID version. Not to mention some of them even provide the latest (1.0.75, 1.0.74, 1.0.73) paid version too!

What I am getting at is, is this even… Allowed? If yes, then until what version can users download the paid .apk?

Thanks!
    Bogdan.

P.S: Granted, I think developers are to be compensated for their hard work.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Hi!

Great to hear you’re working on a Magic Dosbox guide. Running Win95 in DOSBox is a pain in the butt, even on PC, so every bit of good documentation is highly welcome! ?

The short answer to your question: no, it’s not allowed. But that’s tbe internet for you, and Google isn’t doing much to protect apps either. So app developers would have to stamp on every single website that’s distributing their work. Which is next to impossible, unless you’re a multi-million dollar company with an army of lawyers. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So, it’s more or less a token of gratitude to pay three bucks to a small dev (which equals a beer or two, depending on where you’re living). People who’re pirating will do so anyway (and hopefully get their phones and pcs infected by all sorts of nasty trojans and viruses ?).
    #rant off ?#

admin
    Keymaster

Hello,

that’s great! I love all books about old games 🙂 If you need something, do not hesitate to contact me. To your question about these paid apk’s on other servers, I think they are fake or contains viruses, we publish only to google play just now.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.