*New feature: Time Travel drive sync

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    phunkmunkie
    Participant

Hi!
    First, I just want to say thanks again for the amazing emulator. Your amazing emulator definitely takes up the lions share of my gaming time 🙂
    because I play on my tablet and phone, it would be amazing if I could have the time travel save those states to Google drive. I know it’s a bit tricky given we name our own games, but perhaps it can be an opt in feature where we acknowledge the syncing occurs on games with the same exact name? I dunno, I just know it would be an amazing feature to have.

I know your busy with Google plays 64-bit shenanigans, but it you could keep this in mind that would be wonderful!

Thanks again for an unbelievable emulator.

admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

Hm maybe it can be done with android synchronization. For me it means that I must store login and password and this is problem, google made various stupid rules when it comes to GDPR.

Maybe this app “autosync for google drive “

Al ex
    Keymaster

I was thinking of kinda the same. You can try Automate, I’ve been using it to create automated backups of a floppy disk image I was using to store savegames of some of my Win95 games (because fdd images are small and can be quickly synced). It’s dead useful, similar to Tasker, but with a flowchart UI to set things up more comfortably.

To get you started quickly, here’s my Automate flow (make sure to change sdcard and Google Drive settings to match yours).

You can duplicate a working flow, so you’ve got one for each game. Instead of monitoring a single fdd image, you might want to monitor the game’s save folder instead, but apart from that, my flow file should do the trick.

Aaron_Blain
    Participant

I had a related idea.

Has anyone ever used shared savestate files to simulate “play by email” multiplayer?

This is already possible by tabbing over to an app like “FolderSync” to update the shared save on dropbox/google drive. If it’s easy to implement multi-user cloud saves, in MDB this could make the process fairly quick and seamless.

It would be cool to play a few turns per day of something like Romance of the Three Kingdoms or Heroes of Might & Magic, with other busy adults sneaking in gaming a few minutes at a time on their phones.

EDIT: I’m trying to set up a shared savestate to hotseat Laser Squad. I can’t find the savestate file, I can’t change the directories in Global settings, and I don’t know to switch my ‘location’ to ‘public’. I uninstalled MDB but I still don’t see any option to change this. Is it possible to just keep the save states in the same directory as the game itself?

It’s possible to get by using normal savegames, but save states would be much more powerful.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Hi,
    sounds like a neat idea. The savestates are stored in the game’s profile folder. It’s either in /Android/data/bruenor.magicbox/Games/Data oder .MagicBox/Games/Data. The folder name itself is a weird number code, but you can find the game you’re currently playing by looking at the last_started_games.xml file in the .MagicBox/Games folder.

Aaron_Blain
    Participant

Aha, “.Magicbox”, a hidden directory! I should have guessed! Thanks for the help!

It looks like I’ll be able to simply cloud sync the “SaveN” directories and hit ‘sync’ to start or end the turn.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Yep, had to be made a hiddem folder because system cleaning apps have caused some trouble in the past (i.e. deleted the whole folder).
    Even so, it’s advised not to use cleaning apps btw. ?

admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

which app do you use for syncing?

Aaron_Blain
    Participant

I really hope open source smartphones mature soon so I can put all this behind me and just have control over my own device. My goodness.

I use an app called “FolderSync”, which seems to work pretty well so far. I just have to tab over and sync the shared savestate file.

Islander
    Participant

I use “AutoSync for Dropbox” to cloud sync my layouts. You can make it sync any directories, if you have the pay version.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.