Help with screen size

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ScottCoffey
    Participant

Hello,

I’m a software developer working on porting a scanner/backroom application to Android. The goal is to utilize an Android-based scanning device, specifically the Munbyn IPDA086, which essentially operates as a cell phone.

The application I’m porting is currently written in Clipper/xHarbour, a language similar to dBase. The existing application runs on an Intermec scanner using Dosbox under Windows CE.

I’ve been successful in running my application with Magic DosBox on Android, but I’m encountering issues with the screen size/resolution. The application is text-based, without any graphical elements—just plain text.

With the default screen size, the text appears too small to read comfortably. If I opt for fullscreen, the text becomes blurry. Is there a way to scale up the size while retaining sharpness?

Any guidance on resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Interesting question. Just a shot in the dark, but you could try the “mode co40” command at the DOSBox command prompt, or alternatively, set machine=cga in expert settings. Both should drastically increase the font size.

Fyi, mode.com is part of the FreeDOS package, and needs to be downloaded seperately. It basically does the same as CGA (40×25 text mode), but for all color modes.

ScottCoffey
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the “mode” command but got “Illegal command: mode”.

Changing the machine= setting to “cga” in expert settings didn’t change anything.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Yes, it’s not included with regular DOSBox. You can download it from Github, https://github.com/Defacto2/dosbox-toolkit/blob/c1d27a4932bcc82647ef8f885e2294205d9ea21e/VirtualHD/UTILS/FREEDOS/MODE.COM

Simply put it into your virtual root drive (the folder specified as drive C: in Dosbox settings), and it should work.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.