Gamepad controller joysticks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    M4sterm4ge
    Participant

Hi,
    I have been using Magic Dosbox for some time now and played various of games on my old tablet with great success. I have the paid version also to support such great work and effort.

Sinds a few weeks I have been fiddling with an unbranded ps4 controller and some games in dosbox on my tablet. Some work fine and dont need all the buttons. Like prince of persia and Aladdin are Nice to play with the gamepad. Just the usage of the D-pad and map some buttons, and your of to Nice gaming.

But since 2 weeks I am trying to use the 2 joysticks too in certain games. In mouse games I would like to use the left stick as the mouse movement. But I cannot het this to work in games like Settlers 2 and Master of Magic. Both run good with touch. But the joystick Just refuses to work.
    Also I tried Tie Fighter and would like to use the left joystick is the gamecontroller as joystick input. But this seems not possible. Both left and right joystick wont work.
    The only game where the left joystick of the gamepad works is Raptor call of shadows.

What can I be doing wrong? I have testen the controller with other Android games and all is fine. Seems like Magic dosbox wont accept the inputs of both joysticks except for Raptor.

admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

Do you try 2 joysticks as one player or you try to play coop game with friend?

M4sterm4ge
    Participant

No I am playing 1 player.
    With Tie fighter the gamepad wants me to calibrate the joystick, which Just wont work. I tried to map the joystick buttons for confirmation of the top-left/center/bottom-right/center procedure. After that the joystick doesnt work.
    Mapping the mouse to the joystick in Settlers 2 also doesnt work. I can map the left stick to mouse and enable the mapper, but when pushing the stick the cursor doesnt move.
    I think I am doing something wrong but dont know what.
    I cannot map the left or the right joystick to “joystick”. It only has options none/mouse/D-pad. (I saw a YouTube clip to map it to “joystick” but no option is there).

I did test the gamecontroler with gamepadtester.com and all buttons/sticks work there.
    Am I missing something?

admin
    Keymaster

Oh well, i cant now test it, i am out. But it works this way

Go to game profile and turn on “native joystick”. This tells to emulated pc that you connected some kind of old joystick.

Now emulated game should detect it and should run calibration on startup. But many times you must run setup first and tell the game that you want control it by joystick. This setup is game dependent.

Then is there your ps4 controller. It has nothing to do with text above. It is only other device like touchscreen or buttons of your of your phone. So, if you want control “native joystick” with ps4 joystick, now is good time to bind “2axis joystick” in mapper to left or right stick. Dpad is the same like 2axis joystick, but supports state 0 or 1, unlike stick which supports full range. This range is then send to game which converts it for own needs.

Then there are additional bindings which can be bound to your ps4 controller. Relative mouse can be bound or keyboard keys as well.

I am not sure why stick bound to mouse cant move cursor. It should work.

M4sterm4ge
    Participant

Maybe it is the native joystick option. I have not tested this option yet. I will report back when I have tested this. Thanks!

M4sterm4ge
    Participant

Small update: with the tip you gave on the native joystick enabled, worked. I also checked the “timed” checkbox.
    Both joysticks of my gamecontroller where acrobates and I could calibrate them.

Thanks!

M4sterm4ge
    Participant

Another update: I have enabled the native joystick for Settlers 2. Now the joystick on the controller is mapped as mouse and works like a charm.

See, I was doing something wrong 😉
    This native joystick activation in the settings of the game is great.

Thanks again!

admin
    Keymaster

You are welcome

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.