D-pad broken? Or am I doing it wrong?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ManfredVonRicthofen
    Participant

Hi, d-pad works, diagonals work, BUT I can’t get BOTH to work at the same time even with it turned on.

This works fine:
    https://ibb.co/QHnmkvD

This works fine:
    https://ibb.co/mcgMS9J

But together, no.

Anyway why? I am trying to set up my d-pad so if I press “up” arrow, it hits keyboard button 1, if I hit “up+right” I want it to hit number 2, etc. Etc.

I could be wrong, but if I had to guess when I hit diagonal button it hits “1 then 2” instead of just hitting 2 and the game is confused. I tested out the 8 axis thumbsticks, and still having the same problem.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Just tap the green arrow next to “4 way” (your first screenshot). It will then switch to “8 way”, and you’ll be able to setup every direction individually. ?

admin
    Keymaster

no, better is to have 4way with enabled diagonals, but it should work. If it does not work, then it must be game limitation, probably you must use combination of key dpad and axis

ManfredVonRicthofen
    Participant

There is no option for 8 way, I am guessing it’s because d-pad only has 4 directions?

Is there a way I can press buttons 1 and 3 on my controller, but instead of magicbox sending that 1/3 button input to the game, it sends only diagonal button press 2? I think my game sees two buttons being pressed at the same time and doesn’t work.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Oh wait, physical gamepad? I thought you were referring to the onscreen dpad, sorry. I’ll test later on my own gamepad.

admin
    Keymaster

Ah sorry, I did not read correctly your post. Alex is right, you ask for 8 way joystick. But for some reasons 8way joystick is disabled for physical gamepad. There are technical reasons which prevents send 8 different values on axis. I dont know how to implement it, 4 different values or 4 values + their diagonals is not problem, but 8 different values wont work correctly. I can explain it deeper if necessary. Maybe someone smarter with good mathematical knowledge can bring result.

ManfredVonRicthofen
    Participant

Yep, I play on a Sony ps4 dualshock 4, and it works flawlessly with magicbox ?

Yeah I guess I should explain in detail what I’m trying to do..

So I am playing star wars dark forces, it’s a first person shooter. There’s 10 weapons, and I want to use the 4 way (+ shape) directional pad to be able to pick 8 weapons..

Weapon 1 is up
    weapon 2 is right diagonal up
    weapon 3 is right
    weapon 4 is right diagonal down
    weapon 5 is down
    Weapon 6 is left diagonal down
    Weapon 7 is left
    Weapon 8 is left diagonal up

I prefer the + shape 4 way directional pad because if I press both up and right its registered as diagonal… On a 8 way thumbstick it’s too sensitive and sometimes diagonal up and right can be incorrectly registered as up or right..not diagonal.

What I want my 4 way d-pad to do is when I press up and right, I don’t want it telling the game I pressed 1 and 3, but just tell the game I pressed button 2. I hope this helps.

Thanks for all the help guys, I am LOVING magicbox… I don’t have to play all the stupid games out today, it’s all multi-player and dumb.

admin
    Keymaster

What about looper? Bind left/right dpad to forward/backward in looper and dpad up/down to most prefered weapons

Exactly, the problem with sensitivity of 8way is why is not enabled for gamepad, while it works perfectly for touchscreen, gamepad axis does too much mistakes

Long time I want implement this menu:
    http://ratchetandclank.wikia.com/wiki/File:Quickselect_ACiT.jpg

But god believe me, I am still so much bombarded with requests that I cant get there. I wanted update website docs too, but still no time

Al ex
    Keymaster

All these gamepad and mouse limitations in Android are really frustrating. It took them ten years to get mouse support sort of straight, and controllers are still kinda bugged. Ah well, we have to work with what we got. ?‍♂️

I agree that loopers are probably the best solution. You can do this:
    – Create 4 loopers, configure them as invisible and non-detectable, and rename them so they’re easily identifyable (e.g. 1&2, 3&4, 5&6, 7&8)
    – open the loopers menu again, and create four looper lists; each one containing a pair of keypresses (1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8)
    – tap on each of the four loopers, and select the appropriate list
    – map the four loopers to the four directions of the dpad.

Result: when you press dpad up, you will select weapon 1 and 2 in turns, dpad right will select weapon 3 and 4 in turns, etc.
    I just tested it, and I think it’ll work well enough. ?

ManfredVonRicthofen
    Participant

I’ll give it a go with the loopers… I need every button on the controller to squeeze as many functions in as possible. I played a lot of flight sims back in the 90s…before the game developers turned stupid and made nothing but first person shooters like now.

I’ve managed to bind almost every key I need to play tie fighter into the controller, and rest r done using widgets onto the screen itself. If I can master using loopers, I can probably squeeze in even more functions and play complex games like Jane’s AH64D longbow ??

Al ex
    Keymaster

Lol, people just don’t want to read manuals, or memorize complex controls anymore. Quest marker kids… ?
    To be fair, I’m having a blast playing Fortnite, and you can turn off all markers in Witcher 3, to play it oldschool. It’s not all bad these days. ?

admin
    Keymaster

Mayb this can help:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.