Commandos – Behind Enemy Lines (Win 9x)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Al ex
    Keymaster

Version 1.0
    =========

Uploaded: 2016-10-05

Download

Info:
    – You’ll need your own Win9x installation, and either the Commandos iso file, or the GOG version. If you’ve never used Win9x in Dosbox, head over to this site first, and read the guide. Then read it again. And again. Then, and only then, try to set things up. Trust me, it’ll save you hours of trouble.?
    – And you’ll need an extremely powerful phone. My Snapdragon Note 4 was not capable of running this game even at lowest resolution!
    – Swipe up/down to hide/show the built-in Magic Dosbox keyboard.
    – Two point tap is used for right click.
    – At boot, Win95 is usually running at 640×480 (at least my installation); therefore, the mouse is set to relative mode, so you can launch the game easily. On the other hand, I’ve found the best compromise between speed and playability to be in 800×600.
    – Therefore, I’ve added a “800×600 resolution switch” button. DO NOT PRESS THIS BEFORE COMMANDOS HAS LAUNCHED!
    Instead, wait for the Commandos main menu to appear, then press the button. It will do the following:
    Navigate through the menus (2xarrow down + Enter, 2xarrow down + Enter, 2xarrow down + Enter), to set 800×600. Afterwards, it will switch to absolute mouse mode, and reset the mouse, so it’s properly aligned; lastly, the widget will auto hide.
    – Mouse Mode can be switched at any time through the “System” menu widget at the top left; this widget opens a pop-up menu that will also allow quick save, quick load etc.
    – All actions can be accessed by tapping the ingame UI icons; I’ve mapped some to the right for easier access.
    – The rest should be self-explanatory

Default ingame screen:

Ingame screen with “Game Menu” and “Unit Control 1” widgets:

Ingame screen with “Cycle Buildings” and “Unit Control 2” widgets:

Ingame screen in zoom mode (compare to the other screenshots!):

admin
    Keymaster

Perfect Alex, damn this looks so good! I must give it a try!

bkarsh
    Participant

How’s the performance? I have an nvidia shield. Assuming pretty decent?

LappyGB
    Participant

Sorry to ping such an old thread, how did you get the Gog version to work on Win95? When I copy the installed files over the .exe doesn’t want to work (either a kernel32.dll or shell32.dll error).

I do have Commandos running on Win95 through Magic DosBox but I needed to use an original .iso and fully install it (and have the iso mounted as I can’t find a working crack).

I’m trying to get Commandos Beyond the Call of Duty working but only have Gog/Steam files.

Cheers

Al ex
    Keymaster

Dang, sorry for missing your post, I hadn’t checked the notify box.
    Tbh, I was just assuming the GoG version would work in Dosbox. I only have an iso version, ripped from my own CD-ROM. Guess I should edit my initial post. 🤔

LappyGB
    Participant

Cheers for the reply, I have a BEL iso which does work, just not sure how I got BTCOD working without one, annoying that I lost my working files.

Panca
    Participant

So,everything works fine, I have installed win95 on magic dosbox and add the Commandos behind enemylines game just as it was explained in the videos of Fallout2. But I can’t load the saved game. Each time I save the game, the geme doesn’t appearin the load menu. Please how to fix that?

Al ex
    Keymaster

Just copy/pasting my answer from YT 😇:
    If you are keeping the iso image on an external sd card, make sure you have requested the sd access permission from within Magic Dosbox’s global settings menu.

Panca
    Participant

Thanks for the answer, but the solution was actually pretty basic, I have just figured it out, just need to uncheck read only from the save files, and that’s it 🙂

Al ex
    Keymaster

😁
    Well, it’s always best if there’s an easy fix. 👍

LappyGB
    Participant

Figured out my black screen on launch problem, it didn’t like the game files being on the root of the image (D:\). Once they were inside another folder both games load normally.

I notice the .Avi files don’t play but there’s a pause where they would normally run, anything you can install on Win95 to support video playback? I have the video codecs from the driver package installed.

MinscandBoo
    Participant

I’m trying very hard to get this running this game is the reason I got magic. Box and started the would love some input are you the keymaster LOL commandos on win9x I get it but it does not play the briefings soon as the mission goes to start it freezes up and no mouse I can play the tutorial fine I also get an error I will attach

Screenshot-20220501-173127-Magic-Dos-Box

LappyGB
    Participant

I got them both working but as per most games running Win95 through DosBox through Android it can be laggy.

All I’ll say is took a lot of messing around with different game versions, patches, noCDs etc.

Add Lappy#8094 discord I’ll talk you through it.

MinscandBoo
    Participant

I understand how to do it I’m getting errors that I shouldn’t and yes I am on Android as well and I have the paid versions of Turbo dosbox and the paid version of magic dosbox

LappyGB
    Participant

I’m just gonna give you the .IMG for both games but it’s not right to link it through this forum. 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.