[App Idea] An Export of MagicDB’s widget feature

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mkjafu
    Participant

I love this app. It lets me enjoy my hobby of playing “older” games.

That being said, DOS is not the only place with “old” games. There are plenty of games from win9x-winXp that are playable on android devices, and I’m not talking about PC ports, I’m talking about playing proper PC games on Android using emulators.

Exagear is an app that uses wine to emulate Windows on android.
    Using this app I am able to play AoE2, Stronghold:Crusader, Papers Please, Sim City 4, MCFS, etc… I even use it as a way to install dos stuff that needs windows.

Basically; rip out MagicDB’s widget feature and make an app out of it that serves as an input method.
    Full PC keyboards are possible even without rooting.(I use Hacker’s Keyboard to play games on Exagear. However a huge keyboard blocking the screen is certainly not a good way to play games) so why not make a universal “gamepad”?

Making this app with make any mobile emulator-guy nut.

It should work like how it currently works. You can also save and make profiles;like how MGCs work.
    Its basically a universal customizable keyboard gamepad.

So what do you think?

P.S you can also make it a paid app.

admin
    Keymaster

Many thanks,

yes, it is good idea, however, widgets works so well, because they are directly connected to emulator. And basically the only widget which can work without support of target application developer is key widget. Probably virtual joystick can work too, but in limited way. It’s due android sendbox security and getting it work really needs support from developer of target application. I can send keyboard keys, but I can’t send touch events to sendboxed application without root.

Mkjafu
    Participant

So the app is possible but only if root is available.
    Basically
    Root=king?
    Such a shame since my phone is unrootable. Would’ve been a cool app though.

Mkjafu
    Participant

Though keys basically take up 90% of the controls on a pc game so the limited key only version would still be a good app.

admin
    Keymaster

Btw, you can try gamer keyboard drom locnet how it works

Mkjafu
    Participant

Random question unrelated to the current subject. Does Magic Dosbox have a dedicated Discord server?

admin
    Keymaster

I dont know what is discord server…

Mkjafu
    Participant

Yeah, that app. I use it to play Niddhogg on my phone. But MagicDB’s customizability and it’s user friendliness is what really drew me into MagicDB

Mkjafu
    Participant

Eh, really? Isn’t like the most common way of direct interaction these days?
    This is discord

admin
    Keymaster

Looks good.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Discord is great, and I love using it for all kinds of other projects. But it’s a pain to keep track of everything there. Unless you’re actively online all the time, or have a bunch of dedicated moderators, things can get out of hand quickly. 😉

A traditional forum like this one here is kinda laid back in comparison, but in general a better place for troubleshooting and support. I’ve done quite a lot of forum & Discord moderation, and Discord – while definitely being the better communications tool – never really worked as a support platform.

Aaron_Blain
    Participant

I can never get any of exagear’s products to work on anything.

I was actually just thinking the same thing. There were several years where the DOS port of a game was inferior to the Amiga or Atari ST, but emulating those systems is a nightmare. MDB is also much more userfriendly than Retroarch, so I’ve been trying to set up MDB with console emulators running in DOS, but those old emu’s don’t work as well and my device can’t really handle all that overhead anyway.

I also very much enjoy MDB’s Home Screen shortcut function. With MDB, I can just tap a nice custom icon on my Home Screen and get straight into the game. With other systems, I have to mess around with emulator menus, and then if I want to use Game Keyboard+ (which is very good), I have to fool around with switching the system input method back and forth.

Al ex
    Keymaster

As mentioned above, the widget feature is working so well because it’s integrated into MDB. It would have to run as some kind of virtual keyboard (similar to GameKeyboard) in order to use it with other apps.
    Having all these widget separated from MDB would be insanely useful (just think of all the Android games with crap touch controls), but I fear a standalone solution isn’t doable. ?

But I’m not a programmer, so who knows? ??

Aaron_Blain
    Participant

Oh, yes, I understand, I’m just wishing that other applications were as convenient and robust as MDB. Sigh!

Al ex
    Keymaster

I’m with you, that would be awesome. ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.