All desktop shortcuts revert to the name 'Magic DosBox'

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    flamming_python
    Participant

Hi; after having had my games linked to the Android launcher for a while; this morning all their names reverted to ‘Magic DosBox’; the name of the app. However their custom icons are still present, it’s just their names that have changed.
    Near as I can tell this took place after my device crashed last night. However I may be incorrect as I only set up desktop shortcuts for my games a couple of weeks ago, and I don’t remember if I had restarted at all during that time.

I can fix this temporarily by deleting the old shortcuts and creating new ones – however after restarting the device it seems that the new shortcuts revert to the name ‘Magic Dosbox’ too..

Al ex
    Keymaster

Hm, strange. On my pbone, the shortcuts survive a reboot (rooted S7 Edge, 6.0.1). I:m using Nova Launcher, though, I’ve deleted the Toucbwiz launcher.
    Maybe something broke when your phone crashed? Have you tried to clear the cache of Magic Dosbox and your launcher?

admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

thank you for report. This is very weird. Can you confirm that after restart are all icons renamed to “Magic Dosbox”?

Please what is your device for, which android version you have and which launcher do you use(do you use custom launcher?). Problems like this may be related to launcher bugs. Maybe your launcher requires to store some additional information.

Best regards,
    Tony

flamming_python
    Participant

Hm, strange. On my pbone, the shortcuts survive a reboot (rooted S7 Edge, 6.0.1). I:m using Nova Launcher, though, I’ve deleted the Toucbwiz launcher.
    Maybe something broke when your phone crashed? Have you tried to clear the cache of Magic Dosbox and your launcher?

Yes it’s quite possible that something broke when it crashed. How do I clear the cache of Magic DosBox and my launcher’s cache? You mean reinstall Magic DosBox?

thank you for report. This is very weird. Can you confirm that after restart are all icons renamed to “Magic Dosbox”?

Yes I can confirm it

Please what is your device for, which android version you have and which launcher do you use(do you use custom launcher?). Problems like this may be related to launcher bugs. Maybe your launcher requires to store some additional information.

My device is an Mlais MX Base 5.1, with Android vers. 5.1.
    I rooted it and have a custom bootloader on it but the launcher and the rest of it is pretty much all default; no custom Android ROM (far as I remember it’s one of the official ones) or launcher or anything of the sort.

Al ex
    Keymaster

No, not reinstall. You can clear the cache by going to the settings menu –> app settings (on my S7 it’s called “Application Manager”, may be a bit different on your phone). There, scroll down until you find Magic Dosbox in the list. Tap it once, and in the next menu, tap “Storage”, then “Clear Cache”. That’s it for Touchwiz Marshmallow, at least.

I see you’re still on Lollipop. It’s possible that the “Clear Cache” button will show up immediately when you tap on Magic Dosbox in the App Manager.

Do the same for your launcher, just to make sure.

If you can’t find the option anywhere, look for “clear cache” on Google Play, there are plenty of apps that can do the job.

flamming_python
    Participant

It won’t delete my game profiles, will it?

admin
    Keymaster

Maybe it never work correctly…you wrote you didn’t restart device for a long time, so maybe you only didn’t notice that. Can’t you somehow detect name of the launcher? Can you try another launcher for a test?

admin
    Keymaster

No, game profiles are not stored like android recommend, they are not deleted when is application cleared or uninstalled. But profiles can be deleted with cleaning applications (beware).

But for every case do backup in main menu:)

flamming_python
    Participant

No, not reinstall. You can clear the cache by going to the settings menu –> app settings (on my S7 it’s called “Application Manager”, may be a bit different on your phone). There, scroll down until you find Magic Dosbox in the list. Tap it once, and in the next menu, tap “Storage”, then “Clear Cache”. That’s it for Touchwiz Marshmallow, at least.

I see you’re still on Lollipop. It’s possible that the “Clear Cache” button will show up immediately when you tap on Magic Dosbox in the App Manager.

Do the same for your launcher, just to make sure.

If you can’t find the option anywhere, look for “clear cache” on Google Play, there are plenty of apps that can do the job.

Well I tried clearing the cache of both Magic DosBox and my launcher and then restarted; didn’t help

All the shortcuts I create keep reverting to “Magic DosBox” upon restart

Maybe it never work correctly…you wrote you didn’t restart device for a long time, so maybe you only didn’t notice that.

Sure, that’s possible.

Can’t you somehow detect name of the launcher?

I think I found it – Launcher3 it’s called.
    From what I can gather it comes pre-installed on quite a lot of phones – especially Chinese-brand ones.
    Found what looks like its source here: https://android.googlesource.com/platform/packages/apps/Launcher3/
    Someone says that the Google Now Launcher is based off of it.

What’s interesting though is that I have another app – Xash3d FWGS – that can also create shortcuts; and those shortcuts keep their names when I restart the phone. So, we know it’s possible to have permanent-name shortcuts for this launcher, at least.

Can you try another launcher for a test?

Sure, that sounds like a reasonable course of action to narrow down the culprit in the matter. Maybe tonight or tommorow, when I have the time.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Mmmhh… in that case, as a last resort, it would of course be worth a try and uninstall + reinstall Magic Dosbox. But create a backup of your profiles first (in Magic Dosbox main menu)!
    This backup is a zip file that contains the MagicBox folder, and can simply be unzipped to your internal SD to restore all profiles (if you didn’t change the default path).

admin
    Keymaster

If nothing else will work then I can try contact author xash3d, maybe

flamming_python
    Participant

If nothing else will work then I can try contact author xash3d, maybe

Oh there’s no need for that.
    The project is open-source and all their code can be found on GitHub.
    Here, I found some code that might prove of interest to you:

https://github.com/FWGS/xash3d-android-project/blob/master/src/in/celest/xash3d/ShortcutActivity.java

admin
    Keymaster

Thank you, cool. At first side it looks like code what I use. But I see there small difference. Maybe this is the clue.

I’ll look at this tomorrow or so, will write you email

Edit : the only one difference is flag “duplicate”, false what I set. But I see this progran has two ways how to create shortcuts. One is somehow directly from launcher and one is from program. How do you do it?

Can you post exact version of your launcher, will try it on my device

this ? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.actionlauncher.playstore&hl=en

flamming_python
    Participant

Any updates on this?

I found out that DraStic (Nintendo DS emulator) also supports game shortcuts and suffers from the same problem on my device (shortcuts are renamed to ‘DraStic’ upon restart). So we know it’s nothing specific to Magic DosBox and its config or anything like that; it seems more likely to be a bug in my specific launcher, or an oversight in the shortcut code that Magic DosBox and DraStic use (again, Xash3d FWGS doesn’t suffer from this problem). Or possibly something specific to my device, but I feel that’s less likely.

I’ll try an alternate launcher this week maybe, assuming that I confirm that it won’t mess up my existing layout.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Best try Nova Launcher. I am using this one, and can confirm everytjing is working fine there.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.