Looking for ideal Duke3d setup

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    duke3d.exe
    Participant

Like I said, unfortunately that port is canceled due a cease and desist letter sent to Beloko (the author) so the app cannot be found anywhere, he will never be able to release it.

You can get Delta Touch on Google Apps which is the new version of Doom Touch, to see how the mechanics work by yourself, and you will see how it plays really nice.

Unfortuantely we are stuck with DOS emulation for Duke, so I hope we can get a fine tuned control setup so we can play Duke with DOS emulation on phones.

duke3d.exe
    Participant

Ask someone to record yourself playing or buy a tripod or something..

Al ex
    Keymaster

Beloko’s ports are great. Aren’t they all still available in the Amazon app store? He moved there when Google took down his ports for no reason.
    His Jedi Outcast & Academy ports are among the best games ever “made” for Android.

admin
    Keymaster

I agree, playing duke on your video looks cool. I am interested, but I am slow programmer, some things takes me long time. And implementing this is not work for 3-4 hours. I really need get familiar with these controls.

First idea was that I can add new flag “passthrough” to general widget’s properties. This means, that finger events will not be catched by first founded widget, but will continue down through widget’s tree to the main surface where you control mouse. But probably inside widget you will need process mouse events (or axis) on different speed (for better aim). This makes a lot of complications.

Another idea was implement completely new control schema according to beloko’s with possibility switch between schemas in general settings. Current schema is very complicated due gestures and various widget events. Having new “light” schema, without gestures would be at the end easier way.

Both has advantages and disadvantage, takes a lot of time and cannot be done from recording. I must play and think about during gameplay

admin
    Keymaster

Well, third way is really only widget.

Sorry for this brainstorming, I need it…

If we focus on widget, what it will do? We must think in MS-DOS programming. You need to implement the ability to look up, down, turn to right and left. Plus fire.

Fire is single keyboard/gamepad button. This is easy, it starts fire when you touch widget (ON_TOUCH_DOWN) and ends on widget’s event ON_TOUCH_UP. Easy.

Now, turn to left/right, aim up/down. How these actions can be performed in MS-DOS duke3d? Axis, mouse, keyboard, ….

Please write what do you expect.

duke3d.exe
    Participant

Beloko renamed his port from Doom Touch to Delta Touch, it’s back on the Play Store and updated. Get it and test for yourself to see how good controls are.

duke3d.exe
    Participant

Well it would need to be a “while” function, so while ON_TOUCH_DONW enable mouse look with said widget too… im not sure I would do that but that’s the idea. You should play Doom first with Delta Touch to see it for yourself. Use the GzDoom port (Delta Touch has many ports).

admin
    Keymaster

Thanks, this can help

Enslaved
    Participant

Why dont YOU just try it out and/or buy mdosbox yourself if you cant do it with the free version? Lol…

admin
    Keymaster

This new flag “passthrough” should help you.

Al ex
    Keymaster

There you go – there’s literally no other developer I know who pushes this many updates, all based on user requests.
    ??

admin
    Keymaster

The only uncomfortable thing is that mouse aiming centers on finger UP, it should stay in position. But in atomic version is not option for that. Port fixed that. I use keyboard + mouse

Enslaved
    Participant

He’s awesome!

More ppl should buy mdosbox!

duke3d.exe
    Participant

This looks good, but from what I understand, when you stop pressing, the crosshair is centered… the idea is to have mouse toggled on constantly, so the left joystick acts as a mouse.. it should be playable now tho, since the main problem was that you couldn’t strafe while shooting. You should have recorded yourself killing some Fat Commanders to demonstrate dodging projectiles while shooting.. this takes some skills to do with a touchscreen tho :p

I will definitely buy it once it’s released.

admin
    Keymaster

Testing is on your arms. Maybe mouse aiming can be fixed too. I bound “mouse aiming” to right click. And if it will be during game playing still pressed then it could work.

EDIT : yes with right click pressed the cursor stays on position and does not center. I used two combo widgets, each has target action, one widget does mouse down and second does up

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.