Windows 95 Installation Issues

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Retrospective
    Participant

Hi there,

I originally had a perfectly working RTM version of Windows 95 running in MDosBox and it ran beautifully. I’ve spent hours trying to get another version working after losing the image file from wiping my phone.

I have used RTM, OSR1, 2 and 2.5, boot disks Win95a, b and other types but I cannot get it working!

The error I have is “Can’t create drive from file” no matter what HDD size I install Windows on, and I’ve made sure to change the sector counts under -size parameter.

I’ve tried VirtualBox latest, 5 and 5.024 to see if it was that causing the issue but it doesn’t appear to be.

I installed Windows 95 in Limbo on my phone, but I’m not sure how to convert the qcow2 file to img – maybe that will work?

If anyone can help me that would be great!

admin
    Keymaster

Hi,

did you update path to prefix? For example:

<games>/win95.img …

Retrospective
    Participant

Hey! Was there an update I missed that changed the way paths should be written? As far as I can tell its pointing to the correct image, I’ve tried it both in root folder and subfolders.

The two main things that have changed is upgrading to Android 13 and updated MDosBox a few times.

I’m on a fold4 but not sure if that means anything.

The autoexe that I’ve tried are:
    [autoexec]
    @Echo Off
    imgmount c /storage/emulated/0/Win95.img -t hdd -fs fat -size 512,63,32,520
    imgmount d /storage/emulated/0/Drivers.img -t hdd -fs fat -size 512,63,16,64
    boot -l c

[autoexec]
    @Echo Off
    imgmount c /storage/emulated/0/Win95/Win95.img -t hdd -fs fat -size 512,63,32,520
    imgmount d /storage/emulated/0/Win95/Drivers.img -t hdd -fs fat -size 512,63,16,64
    boot -l c

And I’ve made different sized hdd images as well and changed the corresponding -size parameter

I’m not sure what to do!

admin
    Keymaster

[autoexec]
    @Echo Off
    imgmount c <games>/Win95.img -t hdd -fs fat -size 512,63,32,520
    imgmount d <games>/Drivers.img -t hdd -fs fat -size 512,63,16,64
    boot -l c

Try above. But run welcome screen again and set “Games” folder to Win95 folder in the root

Retrospective
    Participant

That worked thanks and now I don’t get an error, however now it’s just hanging on “Booting from drive C…”

Any ideas? I appreciate your help!

admin
    Keymaster

Hm, in game profile do you use “v74” or “svn4180” core? Can you paste whole config?

Retrospective
    Participant

Got it! It works! Thanks so much. I wasted so much time thinking I was doing something wrong.

I forgot to change the -size parameter in the above autoexec you gave.

admin
    Keymaster

Perfect:)

Google restrictions blocks human readable paths. I did it somehow with prefix, but who knows what will google bring in next updates. It is so much annoying.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.