NBA Live 95

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    andrewsteff24
    Participant

I’m having a tough time getting my favorite sports game to work. I feel like I’m doing everything right, but I just keep running into issues. I’m running on a GPD xd. Just looking for the correct settings. Currently, when I enter the command, NBA95 I just get a blinking cursor and nothing happens. I think I may be having trouble with the CD image, as all other games (not requiring installation/cd) work fine.

I’ve been able to get the game to work in the past in dosbox on windows and mac, but I’m fairly new to this android device. Any help is greatly appreciated 🙂

– Drew

andrewsteff24
    Participant

Now I am getting the message “Your hard disk is full. You need to delete…before install this game.”

What can I delete from my device?

Al ex
    Keymaster

You don’t have to delete anything. It’s a bug in the game, there’s actually too much free disk space, so it freaks out.
    Try the freesize command (append “-freesize 1024” to your mounting line), to simulate a lower, fixed amount of free storage.

andrewsteff24
    Participant

So I went through Expert Commands and typed it all in myself using freesize 1024. Now, instead of saying I don’t have enough space, I just get a blinking cursor at the bottom and it won’t boot the install.

Could I possibly send you screenshots of my settings to determine if I even have it setup correctly?

Al ex
    Keymaster

You can copy&paste the contents of your expert settings here, maybe we can figure it out.
    Sadly, I don’t own the game myself, so I can’t test. But maybe there’s an easy tweak. ?

andrewsteff24
    Participant

So I guess I’ll start from scratch, just going through my setup.

Drive C:\ I chose my dos folder on my external sd card, so “/mnt/external_sd/ROMS/DOS
    Memory 32MB
    CD-ROM label NBA95 using drive letter D:
    I mapped the iso image to D, so “/mnt/external_sd/ROMS/DOS/NBA95/NBA Live 95.iso
    Enabled CD and D: NBA95
    Setup, I chose install.exe
    Check-marked expert commands and clicked setup to bring me to dos.

Z:\>mount c: “mnt/external_sd/ROMS/DOS/” -freesize 1024
    Drive C is mounted as local directory mnt/external_sd/ROMS/DOS/

Z:\>mount D: “/mnt/external_sd/ROMS/DOS/NBA95/” -t cdrom -label “NBA95”
    MSCDEX: Mounted subdirectory: limited support.
    Drive D is mounted as CDRom /mnt/external_sd/ROMS/DOS/NBA95/
    Z:\>D:
    D:\>INSTALL.exe

This is where I run into my issues. It now just gives me a blinking cursor, unable to proceed with anything.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Just an idea: have you already granted sd card r/w permissions from Global Settings? From the main menu, tap the cogwheel, then Global Settings, then Request permissions. You can select your external sd from the Android file dialogue, and give write permission to Magic Dosbox.
    That’s a security feature Google introduced a while ago. Without it, games that want to write stuff to disk will act weird.

andrewsteff24
    Participant

I just watched the video posted here on your site, but I don’t have that option to permit to request permission. I have the SD-Card and storages section. When I click on Show detected storages, the system is displaying full access to both the external and internal SD cards.

I just purchased Magic Dosbox the other day, so I have to believe it’s the most recent version.

I’m having the same issue with Daggerfall; I followed every step correctly but I just get that blinking cursor.

Al ex
    Keymaster

If you already have full access, then you don’t need to request it again. I just wanted to make sure, because that would’ve been easy to correct.

Does it also happen when you mount a directory on your internal sd, and also mount the iso from there?

Al ex
    Keymaster

Normally, I would say your iso image is corrupt. But it strikes me as weird that Daggerfall is acting up just the same.

For testing purposes, I’ve grabbed an iso from archive.org, and it worked out of the box: create new profile, enable cd-rom, mount the image, chose install.exe from the image as setup file, save profile.
    Then edit it again, and launch the setup. No need for loadfix, and it installed fine with default settings. Game then launched and played without any issues, too. ?

andrewsteff24
    Participant

Okay, got one step further. Instead of the blinking cursor and locking up, it goes to a black screen with the following:
    locateshape – ‘ thum’ SHAPE NOT FOUND.

I can hit enter and brings me to D:\NBA95

Lol, I have no idea what I’m doing wrong. I can’t believe you got it working.

When I mount the image and go to d:, should I not run install.exe from there?

andrewsteff24
    Participant

Other than going through expert commands and typing it all in myself, is there another way to increase freesize to 1024?

Al ex
    Keymaster

Lol, all these features that keep being added… I just realized that when you hit the small cogwheel next to the “Choose” button (main program and setup), you can select freesize from there.
    You should uncheck expert settings again for now, because it will override all your settings, and make things more complicated.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Please try this profile, and remember to correct the mountings (they point to my external sd): https://www.mediafire.com/download/gdfac27jckjng5b

andrewsteff24
    Participant

Okay, I’ve used your mgc, the same iso from archive, but the maximum free space allowed is 1000mb (not 1024). Is there a way to increase it the config?

Also, for the main program, where did you find the nba95.exe file? Or does that become available after installation? I can’t remove the main program file, is that an issue prior to installation?

You’ve been very helpful and I appreciate your determination to get this to work for me. I’m thinking of taking a video and uploading to youtube so you can see exactly what I’m doing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.