Launch a Magic DOSBox game with ARC Browser (or any other app)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Elfangels
    Participant

Hello there,

I use several emulators including Magic DOSBox and the frontend ARC Browser (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.floatingpoint.android.arcturus) that references all my games with the exception of my DOS games.

ARC Browser has several templates according to different emulators and allow creation of customized emulator.
    Is it possible to launch a Magic DOSBox game with ARC Browser (or any other app) ? What are the launch parameters (activity, …) ?

Thank’s a lot for your work.
    I have fun with Magic DOSBox on Nvidia Shield TV.

admin
    Keymaster

Hello,

thank you very much 🙂

I never tried ARC browser but looks very interesting, I’ll check it deeper.

Magic Dosbox is based on two activities. First Activity starts Home screen with collection. If you pick game then is started another activity, but only first is important for you

android:name=”bruenor.magicbox.uiGameStarterActivity”

With Magic dosbox you can create game shortcuts to launcher (long tap on game in collection). Simply said you can start game directly from launcher.

Shortcut starts activity with parameter :

code : intent_msg1
    value : ID of game in collection. It’s written in collection.xml (in MagicBox folder on your device).

Best regards,
    Tony

Elfangels
    Participant

Hello again :),

Thank you for your quick answer.

I am near to the solution.
    I have set :
    – “bruenor.magicbox/bruenor.magicbox.uiGameStarterActivity” as emulator component
    – empty as action
    – empty as category
    – “intent_msg1” for parameter “code”
    – “id of a game” for parameter “value”

When I click on a game, DOSBox Magic is launched but not the game.

Do you have an idea to solve my problem ?

admin
    Keymaster

Hello,

I am not exactly sure, because I don’t own this application.

Any launcher (in my case nova launcher or apex) can start MS-DOS game/application added in Magic Dosbox collection. When mDosbox starts then reads value of intent with code “intent_msg1”. If value of this intent is not null or not empty then mDosbox looks for game with this ID in collection.xml and starts it (if is founded). Else starts home screen with all games in collection.

Here is how mDosbox reads value of the intent at start.
    gameID = getIntent().getStringExtra(“intent_msg1”);

Maybe you can send information written above to author of ARC Browser. This information should be enough for him to help you. Or maybe he needs some specific information what you need to ask me.

Edit : Please let me know if I have to implement something

Best regards,
    Tony

Elfangels
    Participant

Hi,

I had a misunderstanding.
    It’s work !

I have set :
    – “bruenor.magicbox/bruenor.magicbox.uiGameStarterActivity” as emulator component
    – empty as action
    – empty as category
    – “id of a game” for parameter “intent_msg1” (intent_msg1=gameId instead of code=intent_msg1 and value=gameId)

The test work (I set game ID manually).
    I am in touch with the developer of ARC Browser to send game ID according to wich game I click on.

I will let you know when I get results (and the procedure to make it works).

admin
    Keymaster

Hi, perfect.

Thank you very much, i’ll look forward to hearing from you, I am sure this helps to many people.

Tony

Elfangels
    Participant

In a next release, the developer of ARC Browser will add an option to send filename excluding extension.
    ARC Browser can only send complete paths (of ROM directory, EXE files, …) and it is not possible to launch a game by ROM path with Magic DOSBox (is not it ?).
    I will create a directory with files named as game ID. Exemple :

– [directory] DOSGames
    – [file] gameIdA.game
    – [file] gameIdB.game
    – …

admin
    Keymaster

Thank you. No, this is not possible, because Magic Dosbox requires many settings for startup. These settings are stored in directory with name of this ID. Game itself is located elsewhere and can be added to magic dosbox collection multiple times (from various reasons – like Doom server, Doom client).

Good to hear about this update

Elfangels
    Participant

Hello again,

ARC Browser new release is out !
    All my Magic DosBox can be launched by ARC Browser.

There is the steps :

• Create a directory with empty files named as game ID with “game” as extension (for example : “[gameIdHere].game”)
    • Open ARC browser
    • Create a new system named “DOS” with the following parameters :
      • “game” as rom extension
      • “bruenor.magicbox/bruenor.magicbox.uiGameStarterActivity” as emulator component
      • empty as action
      • empty as category
      • a parameter named “intent_msg1” with value “%rom_filename_noext%”
    • Refresh “DOS” system roms without scrape
    • Edit “DOS” system roms with “Fix match using different name” to get correct name, description and box

Thank you for yor help.

admin
    Keymaster

Hello,

thank you very much for sharing this information and thanks to author of ARC browser for support. This helps a lot.

Tony

sanchezmike01
    Participant

Hi buddy….I use hyperspin as my frontend…can u post a sample parameter for let’s say the game Doom….for us who use hyperspin, it seems like a similar process to launch a game….I can write the emulator component but I get stuck on the parameter to launch an individual game..I want 2 test with doom since I have that already loaded in magic dosbox…thank you

admin
    Keymaster

In previous posts you can read what all magic dosbox offers and how to get all information you need from MagicBox folder. But I am not experienced with hyperspin, maybe author if hyperspin can help you better…

marcoooo
    Participant

hello trying to get the games going through the advanced emulator launcher inside kodi and it will open only the magic dos box and there i can select the game with no problem

but it would be nice to auto start the game

the commandline i use is

bruenor.magicbox/bruenor.magicbox.uiGameStarterActivity -a android.intent.action.intent_msg1 %rom_filename_noext%ion

mayby somebody a sugestion ?

admin
    Keymaster

I didnt try to run it in kodi, i only use it for movies, but your command doesnt look good for me

android.intent.action.intent_msg1

Is incorrect i think. Magic dosbox accepts intent with name intent_msg1 and with value game id.

But you should ask on kodi forum how can kodi construct intent and send it to application.

Yeah thats true with the exception being it lauches the game 8f i have last game enabled and its the same game

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.