How to install games on Magicdosbox windows 95???

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Paramilda83
    Participant

Hi guys I just followed the fantastic youtube tutorials to enable windows 95 on magicdosbox and after a lot of effort I managed to set up everything properly. The problem I have now is: how do I even install games?

The tutorials only work for super popular games such as fallout, since they are dependent on a prepared.mgc file which is used to install the game. But what if I want to install my own games and there is no .mgc to download? I have a submarine simulator I REALLY want to install (Jane’s 688 Hunter/Killer) and I just can’t figure how to do it. I mean, I just can’t figure how to transfer it to my smartphone so I can fire it up in windows 95

thank you!!!

Al ex
    Keymaster

my suggestion: Use a smaller (e.g. 512 MB) C: drive image that contains only your Win95 installation, and use alternating 2GB D: drive images. On this D: drive image, copy the iso file of the game you want to install, e.g. with UltraISO, then use Virtual Clone Drive in Win95 to mount this iso file as cd-rom. You can then install the game from the virtual cd-rom drive to your D: drive, and play it from there.

Advantage: you can create multiple layouts for multiple games, and mount different D: drive images. I’m keeping six 2 GB image files on my external sd (it’s 128 GB, so I’ve got lots of space), so I can play 10 different Win95 games whenever I want.

You can create the .mgc files yourself. One part is the dosbox setup, in this case expert settings, to run Win95, the other part is the onscreen buttons layout. It’s all stored in one .mgc file when you click on export, but you don’t need download any such file to use Magic Dosbox. They’re only for layout sharing.

Paramilda83
    Participant

Wow, that’s amazing thanks. The only problem I have is that I’m kinda new to all this fidgeting and I just don’t know how to create these drive images? You mean I have to reinstall the windows 95 in a new drive? How do I create the 2gb drive images for the games?

Thanks a lot, really, you are a life saver

admin
    Keymaster

Hi

The installation guide on youtube is for any win95 games. The mgc file for fallout has valid expert settings for running win95, dont search for fallout 2 specific settings. Only fallout specific settings are on screen buttons. So just duplicate fallout2 profile, delete all buttons and add own.

2GB file included on youtube is not fallout specific, place there which game you want. You can rename it to something else, but fix its name in expert settings.

Just imagine that 3rd part of video guide is not about fallout, but for something else. Main point is that dosbox controls win95 not fallout

Paramilda83
    Participant

Thanks a lot guys I’m gonna try!!!

Paramilda83
    Participant

I just wanted to thank you guys I finally managed to install the game and it’s working!!!!

Al ex
    Keymaster

That’s great, have fun! If you’ve got any more questions, feel free to ask. ?

Netvudu
    Participant

Wow. This gives me hope. I wanted to do the same thing for SubCommand, which is the next game of the series after 688 Hunter/Killer but I thought it would be hopeless…but seeing that it works for the first one makes me want to try!!

EDIT: One of the first ways it differs is that the game is not one ISO but two (two CDs).I expect it will still be possible?

Smaller drives work better. Fat 16 is only really optimum up to 256 mb as far as both r/w and actual storage . Just because its compatible up to 2 gbs doesnt mean you should. 256mb is a rather small drive and wont work in some cases so make your drive as small as you can. Nocd patches are the best way to go if applicable as they eliminate the need of the cd which is much bigger than the actual installation.

Usually both disc arent necessary or only necessary for installation. In some circumstances not at all. alot of games put there multiplayer on one disc and game on the other

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.