Did android pie break something?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    ManfredVonRicthofen
    Participant

Hi guys, so last time I played my favorite game tie fighter was back when I was running android Oreo….about 6-8 months back.

I just got my phone factory reset and I am now running android Pie. Before the reset I saved the entire Magic dosbox folder, and after reinstalling a fresh copy of Magic Dosbox all I did was copy over the old folder… So in theory everything should be exactly the way I left it. However, I noticed that all the key settings I set up for my dualshock 4 are totally messed up. Is this android pie’s fault or did magic dosbox change significantly since I last played months ago?

Al ex
    Keymaster

Afaik, Magic Dosbox hasn’t received any changes to joystick emulation. I’ll passt that along, though, stay tuned. ?

Al ex
    Keymaster

Alriht, I received an answer. There haven’t been any changes to joystick functionality, so it does at least look like an OS issue. You could of course provide a link to your game profile here, so we can check it for anything unusual.

From my experience, joystick mapping can get screwed up sometimes. My gameped, a GameSir G4s, can be paired in 4 different modes, and each one behaves differently. I also get weird button misconfiguration in SNES9x EX and some other emulators when I connect via bluetooth instead of USB cable. That messes up my L1/R2 and L2/R2 buttons, for example.

ManfredVonRicthofen
    Participant

To test this out, I will attempt to install and play on an older device I have, it runs Android KitKat… If the same profile gives me problems, we can conclude the current version of magic dosbox is the problem. If it does not, it is indeed android pie. If it’s a corrupted profile, I also have a back up of the profile I can dig up that won’t be. I will also upload and leave a link here for u guys to test out my profile for me.

I spent hours fine tuning my tie fighter profile to squeeze in about 90 percent of the functions I need into a dualshock 4 to be able to play WITHOUT a keyboard… It would really break me if it doesn’t work ??

Al ex
    Keymaster

That’s a very good idea, please do so. ?

And hopefully, we’ll figure something out. ?

ManfredVonRicthofen
    Participant

So interesting findings tonight… On my old beat up android KitKat phone, my old profiles work flawlessly… So now I will attempt to delete and reinstall a fresh copy of the game on this device. If it’s still messed up, then it’s android pie.

I really did not want to update to pie. I had Oreo for the longest time because my phone wasn’t broken and I did not want to fix it, for this obvious reason of breaking perfectly fine things. Ugh.

ManfredVonRicthofen
    Participant

OK so I just confirmed it. There is something wrong with android pie when it comes to using dualshock 4. A fresh copy of MGDBX has the same messed up controller settings that works fine with android KitKat.

I remember reading somewhere that Pie supports remapping for dualshock 4…could that be it? Anyone know how I can remap it in pie so I don’t have to remap my entire profile inside MGDBX and the game? This is so frustrating that Google had to mess with perfectly fine mapping of the dualshock 4 with this stupid update.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Dang. Google are notorious for “fixing” things that ain’t broken. The way they’ve been messing up sd card support over and over again, ever since KitKat, is maddening.
    Anyway, in this case, it seems they added official support for the Dualshock 4 in Pie, which messed up your bindings. Nevermind that gamepads have already working for many years, let’s fix it anyway! ?

You might want to try different connection methods (i.e. bluetooth / usb). At least on Oreo, I get (slightly) different mappings then.

A possible solution would be a remapping tool, if there’s a working one. You can try GameKeyboard+ by Locnet, but you have to buy it, and it’s rather wonky. Another tool I found via Google is this one here. The website is in German, but Google Translate should do the trick. Liek GameKeyboard+, it’s a keyboard app that needs to be activated in the IME settings of the phone.
    It’s from 2013 though, so I’m not sure if it will actually work. Also, even though it looks safe, I would advise a virus scan prior to installing this.

ManfredVonRicthofen
    Participant

Thanks I will give those mappers a try. Yeah all of the button presses are registering incorrectly for everything that uses dualshock… When I was hitting down arrow in a Nintendo emulator I was jumping.. What a mess!

It also seems like performance was slightly decreased in MGDBX vs the old Android Oreo version… I definitely did not want this update ugh.

Al ex
    Keymaster

Oh my… I already saw a performance loss in Nougat compared to Marshmallow on my S7 edge back then. Fortunately, my S9 is still on Oreo. I haven’t switched because XPosed Framework hasn’t been released for Pie yet. ?

admin
    Keymaster

Damn, i remember something. It is some time what i was reading about dual shock and xbox controller fixes in android api, maybe that’s it

See

Facko
    Participant

Does the dual shock controller still have input lag after 30 seconds on android? If that’s been fixed I might check out xash3d again. There’s a few bandaid apps that fixed the problem bit they ate my battery like I eat cookies. Haven’t tried it since I still had a Samsung s5 tho.

ManfredVonRicthofen
    Participant

No lag for me, but I did have that issue at first. What fixed it for me is getting 2nd Gen dualshock 4. First Gen uses a different Bluetooth radio, 2nd Gen has a radio that’s faster in communicating with the phone so eliminates all lag. I recommend u google how to tell 1st Gen and 2nd Gen controllers, they usually list serial numbers and stuff to tell them apart. Buy it on Amazon, and if u still get lag just return it.

Facko
    Participant

Ty for the info chummer! Guess it’s time for a new controller. 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.