Deadzone for Master of Puppets? Bag for Telescopes widgets? Turnable widgets?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    atarumoroboshi18
    Participant

Hello! Just got a few ideas I’d like to run by you again! Sorry for the long absence, but I recently got back into playing and have a few ideas. I’ve been using the Master of Puppets, but have been finding out that it is extremely sensitive when using it with the standard WASD or Arrow keys(I’ve switch it out to 4 static buttons instead). Would it be possible to add a small deadzone in the middle of the MoP(A deadzone circle that can be customized?) to see if it would fix the issue?

Also, I am now using the Telescope widget extensively. I realized we cannot use the Telescope widget with the Bag widget, so why not create a custom bag widget just for it? I’ve completely changed Ultima Underworld 1’s world entirely, but other games like Turn-Based/Strategy/RPGs would benefit quite a bit from something like this.

How about the possibility of widgets that can be twisted? Flipped, twisted, angled, etc. You could save a lot of space on numerous games and open the door to some cool looking screens. Just sending out some ideas, loving the current iteration of Magic DOSBox!

admin
    Keymaster

Hi 🙂 Good to hear you again

MoP already uses deadzone, but has fixed size, I think it is 15% if I remember well, I think, it’s not a problem add this option to settings.

> I realized we cannot use the Telescope widget with the Bag widget
    I don’t understand this, can you tell me more? Do you want to insert zoom widget into bag?

>How about the possibility of widgets that can be twisted? Flipped, twisted, angled, etc
    Do you mean to have widget shape other then rectangle?

atarumoroboshi18
    Participant

Yes, adding the zoom widget into a bag, I’ve tried to add the Telescope into a bag and it doesn’t work. Not sure if I did it correctly or if it just hasn’t been implemented.

Widgets other than a rectangle would be great, why not create them as polygons with the ability to remove/add edges/angles? So from a rectangle I could create a triangle by removing one of the edges or create other shapes as well.

admin
    Keymaster

Yes, no every widget can be placed in bag, but I can fix it.

Having shapes is cool idea, but I must avoid it for now, this brings numerous problems, but I will think about it, maybe i can find compromise

Btw, bag is now broken, but I will release fix as soon as possible

atarumoroboshi18
    Participant

Alright. Then how about images? Is there a possibility to configure the image, like mirroring, flipping, upside-down, etc. inside a widget? This would mean an arrow in one direction could be switched to any other direction.

admin
    Keymaster

I think this is not a problem, but has it real usecase? Can you give example when you would like to use it?

atarumoroboshi18
    Participant

One of the simplest would be for long images to be used at the bottom of the screen. A single image with that functionality would be very useful.

Edit: Also, an image only needs to be made once across the board. A sword image could be fit on the bottom of the screen or on the side, a single arrow could point in all directions, you could even link them to a Deadly Strike or something to that effect. When you press the button, the image flips so a player knows it’s been pressed.

admin
    Keymaster

Hmm, if I understand well, you want place image (not widget) on the screen and then assign it deadly strike widget ?

Flip will be nice feature, but it is very hard and very easy for programming. It is very easy if I use continual drawing, but very hard if I use lazy drawing.

Continual drawing means draw 30-60 fps on screen every second.
    Lazy drawing means draw only if dosbox sends data to draw (or if I force drawing, when needed (opening/cosing bag)

Continual drawing is bad, because drawing 30-60 frames per seconds drains battery a lot and leads to phone heating. Increased heating means less cpu power – dosbox performance is degraded. So I avoid continual drawing as much as possible.

By lazy drawing you don’t know when next frame will arrive, so you can’t return flipped button back to normal state, because you wait for dosbox drawing event. Dosbox can send 1,2 frames per second, then 0, then 35, etc. Like I said, there are situations when I force drawing again (even dosbox sent nothing), but I choose wisely when, it can’t be often. But button flips very often.

I can add flipping to lazy drawing, but you must accept graphical glitches. I mean, I will higlight and de-higlight when dosbox sends data to draw. In praxis, button may ignore highlight or will stay higlighted to next redraw. Not very nice.

In addition, you can enable “synaptic feedback” on button if your device has vibrator

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.