Daggerfall (Mouselook)

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    epoch32
    Participant

Hello everyone!

Today i’m going to be sharing my first .mgc for Daggerfall. However, this one is for mouselook players like me. I’ve been using it for half-a-year and even though it’s not perfect, i’m very pleased with the result. I only used the stock button icons for this since I don’t have the time to create my own ones, also bindings are set to mostly defaults to not overcomplicate things, the only ones you need to rebind are the slide left and right keys.

Here are the controls:

View post on imgur.com

-Attack is done by holding the screen until it vibrates, swiping in the direction you choose and releasing, this can be adjusted in settings/gestures

-The cursor key is for interacting with bottom ui elements or items offcenter of the screen. It also acts as the enter key in the default bindings.

-Make sure to rebind slide l/r from shift l/r to l/r arrows ingame so that the d-pad will work properly.

-I am using Magic Dosbox’s user journal for players who like to keep notes ingame like me.

Other notes:
    -Music is disabled by default for low-end devices

-Cycles set to max. Though I originally had on 20K-25K.

Download

Al ex
    Keymaster

Nice one, thanks very much for sharing! ?

epoch32
    Participant

You’re welcome! Any suggestions, improvements and icons are welcome!

Larrynho
    Participant

Im testing this, so I use the left dpad to move forward/backward/slide left and right.. but how do I turn? I have to move the cursor to the sides of the screen and click?

epoch32
    Participant

You need to switch first grom cursor to mouselooking in the mouse options of the game. I apologize for not mentioning that earlier.

Larrynho
    Participant

Ok, I see it now, nice ! I like this way a lot, thanks for your work 😀

epoch32
    Participant

No pronlem!

Larrynho
    Participant

Been trying to get your mouselook mode mixed with Alex attack buttons but I cant figure how to make the buttons perform an attack while in mouse mode AND evade making the character spin around… any idea? Id say that this combination will allow to play in the most confortable way 🙂

Edit: Alex,any idea on how to do this? admins?

epoch32
    Participant

Nah, before doing this, i’ve tried doing that as well with very little success. Don’t worry, you’ll get used to it in no time. 😀

sandz
    Participant

@ larrynho my set is just like this, its very modern rpg feel with mouse look plus 2 attack buttons, but im afraid to share cause its originally alex daggerfall mgc profile.

i just started playing for 2 weeks only so i used his mgc file and tinker with, and the result uses same icon images so i cant uploud it.

Al ex
    Keymaster

@sandz you talking about my layout? If so, it’s actually very nice of you to respect the copyright, but I have absolutely zero problems with you sharing it. Feel free to upload and share it here if you like. ??

I made this purely for fun, and actually spent way more time designing the layout than playing the game. So as long as noone starts selling them on Google Play, I’d encourage anyone to tweak and optimise every layout posted here.

Larrynho
    Participant

I’d love to try it…Ive tinkered myself a lot with Alex`s layout but in the end I revert it to the original most of the times 😛 Its so nice. Im quite a few hours ingame with it. Im liking epoch32 one too, but the whole long press and swipe thing I do not enjoy much ( Im a touchscreen button player :p ).

Im very curious on about how you managed to do it. Daggerfall had a weird control scheme 😛

Al ex
    Keymaster

Lol, a lot trial & error, countless deadly strike widgets, and some less-used funtions like the Target widget. The great thing about Magic Dosbox is that if you’re missing a certain feature, you can just ask for it and it will be implemented if it’s somehow possible. And there are already so many functions, you can achieve almost anything with a little creativity.

After I had built this, and the Age of Empires & Ultima V layouts, layers were implemented. So if I had to create these layouts again from scratch, it would be much easier, and would require far less deadly strike widgets to show & hide all the icons.

What I do when I see an interesting layout is, I sort of reverse engineer them: import, launch, enter edit more, and take a look at every widget to see what it does.

Larrynho
    Participant

I do “reverse engineer” them too 😀 I used to invest more time 🙂 But I got all the Dos games I wanted working between MDB and ScummVm ( 70 titles on mdb and full library on scummvm minus kid/crappy games :p …yes, Im a hoarder, yes I have/had em all bought ages ago 😛 ).

Ive spent MUCH more time configuring windows images and layouts than actually playing ANY of the games.

Someday Ill replay fallout 1/2, will complete Daggerfall, Rise of the Dragon, both Darkseeds, Fade to Black, Alone in the Dark series… I got so many great games that I end not commiting to any :p

Al ex
    Keymaster

Lol, I know exactly what you’re talking about. I’ve got loads of old 3,5″ disks hoarded, plus CD-ROM collections, and I’ve got 92 games in my GoG library by now. There’s so many games I would love to replay, if only I had the time. But still, I’m happy I’ve managed to replay at least some of my favourites. Come to think of it, I played (and finished) quite some gems on Magic Dosbox: Crusader – No Remorse, Doom, Realms of Arkania 2 & 3, several LucasArts adventures, Quest for Glory, Strike Commander, Ultima VI & VII, Wing Commander I-IV, Warcraft II. I don’t even want to start calculating the amount of play time I put into all these games. ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.